Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is an odd line on my tires. They have a little over 4k miles on them. The line is slightly off center and goes the whole way around both tires. You can feel it if you run your finger across it. What is it? are the tires separating? or was it formed when the tires were manufactured?
Pics:

Are the tires still good?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
personally id be freaked out to ride on that, especially if you can feel the line. id send those pictures to michelin customer service, and bitch up a storm. they might send you replacement tires for free. they also would probably want those tires back if there is a problem so they can identify batch number, what plant they were made in, etc incase they need to recall.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
I would most definitely call Michelin up.. It may be something that everyone experiences, as Mick636 implied, but I would want to hear that from the horses mouth. They could be dangerous if that's not normal. I've never ran PP's though so I wouldn't know.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I've had 5 sets (2 different bikes) of Pilot Powers and they all have the same thing. No problems..... it's normal.....

·
Registered
536 Posts
Originally posted by xtremewlr
I've had 2 sets of Pilot Powers with the same thing. Never had an issue with them, even after almost 8000 miles on the first set. I wouldn't worry about it unless it gets worse.
How the heck you get 8000 miles out of a set of tires? Most i could get was just over 5000. I've never done any burnouts btw.

·
Registered
536 Posts
i can easily get over 10000 on the front tire but not the back. I've never gotten much more than 5000 on the back tire and thats mostly from street riding. I'd like to know your secret!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Perfectly normal... I have sold just over 100 sets of PP tires this past season, and not one came back with any issues, but the like you pointed out is normal.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I run PP also...but I think the tires look that way because Michelin uses a softer rubber compound on the outer edge of the tire. That's way they work so good on the track. Most of us who have racked up some miles will start to see that..

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I've tried out one set of Pilot Powers and they had that same line in them, I never though much about it or even tried to see if i could feel them. It's normal, or atleast it didn't cause any problems for me and the set lasted me over 9k miles.

I got a lot of mileage out of those pilot powers, I'm not sure how you guys go through a rear tire in 2 or 3k street miles, are you constantly doing whole shots or wheelies? I dont ride slow on the street but those tires lasted me a long time.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Originally posted by lowthrizzle
Perfectly normal, they all have that line.
+1 between me and my friends we've had about 20 sets of powers and they've all had the same line. No idea why but seems to be normal.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.