Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Powerhungry
38,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok heres the deal. i ran 9k on the stock bridgestones(bt014) NEVER had a single prob or ever had them slip. since putting on the pilots, ive had them slip several times. ive come to the conclusion its the heat. pilots do not like high temps. the hotter the day the easier they slip. ive since talked to a few ppl i ride with that run pilots. they all basically come to the same thing. anything over 80 ambient temps, and the asphalt gets the tire too hot and it doesnt like to grab.
i actually watched today as a cbr1000rr tried a 2nd gr clutch up at around 50mph(his usual speed) and proceeded in leaving a 6ft long black mark. all he did was break the tire loose.
anyone else in the hot states notice this?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
i've never had a problem with my pilot powers and i have 6000 miles on a set right now. i had the back tire spin once trying to clutch up 2nd but it was my own fault that it slipped. i actually tried to holeshot my bike today in 1st gear and all i got was the front tire lifting off.

what air pressure do u run in the back? i'm running 34psi when the tire is cold.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Too f-n hot here today also, so I squided up and rode in a tee shirt and upon coming into a set of my favorite twisties on the way home, trusted the the pilots to due their thing. Wish I had on the pucks, prolly coulda got a knee down!?????????

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,869 Posts
Yeah, powers do have a problem with heat. Both in ambient temperature, and the higher heats from race conditions, they slip like crazy, but up until that point they grip really well. It's just bad because you've got all this grip, and then all of a sudden they just get too hot, and slip without much warning. I'd put out the money for a real street/track tire, if I were you...Metzler M3, Diablo Corsa, etc. Definately worth it, and you'll get a lot more feel out of either of those than from the Powers.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I've got a set of Metz M3's on order, should be here Thursday. I've read a lot of good things about them, and dragknt has preached Metz many times so I went with them.

·
Powerhungry
38,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
heres a link to another forum i posted this question on. check out the responses. its has a much smaller member count, and it shows, theres quite a big difference between responses. and thanks draqknt, basically confirmed what i was thinking.
http://www.pnwriders.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14944

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,869 Posts
Originally posted by hokie636
I've got a set of Metz M3's on order, should be here Thursday. I've read a lot of good things about them, and dragknt has preached Metz many times so I went with them.
lol...no I haven't, have I? I'm a pretty big Pirelli fan, and Pirelli makes Metzler's...and my M3's have a huge amount of feel, and I haven't had them slip on me yet...I didn't think I was really preaching, I'm just not much of a Power fan...I really didn't like the set that I ran.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
haha, I didn't mean preaching literally. Just when people praise the powers or something else, you usually suggest Metz. :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
It was 98 degrees and humid yesterday and my pp worked great. The chicken strips are all gone now. I thought the hotter the tire and asphalt the better the grip? Is it possible that the couple times your tire slid there were rocks or a little sand on the road??

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I've been running Powers for 3 years (since released) on both my RR and 636 and I've only had them slip a couple times at trackdays. Just be sure to check your air pressure while cold and adjust the pressure accordingly. I run them at 32f 32r (street) and 28-29-30 depending (track). In Sacramento the average temp in summer is well over 90*F and they hold up great.

pic of my tires after/during my last trackday. T-hill raceway, temp 100*F+, track temp 130*F, and the rear only slipped twice (due to rider error (late braking, too early/hard on the gas)......

and a pic of my slow ass

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Having your suspension tuned to your weight also helps a lot. Also, smoothing your throttle control may make a difference (if it's choppy). Try hanging off the bike (keeps it more upright = more contact patch).

When exactly are you experiencing these slips/slides?
If you're having problems with the tires in the twisties, remember cars/trucks also drive the roads as well and leak oil, coolant, etc. The twisties/canyons out here have all types of crap in the road leaked from trucks and cars.

I know quite a few guys running PP's on both street and track (various bikes 600-1000s) and have minimal complaints about the tires.
You could always try running dot race tires. (pilot race, 209s, bt002, super corsas, etc.) If you feel you're out riding your tires. :D

·
yut uuuuugh!
5,344 Posts
Originally posted by stizo
Having your suspension tuned to your weight also helps a lot.
Where can you have this done? I keep hearing about this, and am very interested, but not sure where to go? When I bought my bike at the dealership, the guy (my buddy) said to ride it for a while, then adjust the suspension all the way in one direction to see what it feels like, then back it off one turn at a time until it feels good. First do the front competely, then hit the rear. It just seems that how the front acts is dependant on how the rear is set up... also, I'm not sure I want to start f'ing with this. Is there somewhere you can go and they can input weight/riding style and figure it out?

Something I've been wondering for a while now... thanks guys/girls!

·
Registered
156 Posts
http://www.sportrider.com/tech/suspension/

get two mates over and do it yourself. otherwise speak to your local motorcycle mechanic. He/she shouldnt charge much more then ~$25-$30 to set the sag, and get the damping to a decent starting point. From there, its tweaking compression and rebound. (i have been meaning to do this too).

·
Registered
283 Posts
Yea this is the first "bad" think ive heard about the pp's i will say the dunlop qualifiers are glue... for me personally! Did two trackdays on a pair and no problems...

·
Registered
634 Posts
yesterday it was 104F and they worked fine.,
I have no clue how you don't notice any difference between the pp's and the piece of crap bt-14's[:M74] I could tell a diff like night and day. but then I've also heard people say their bike doesn't have enough power and they can't even ride for shit. It's usually the guy who crashes every other weekend and blames it on... oh you get the point[8D]

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.