Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
28,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, some of you that know me know that i swear by the Michelin Pilot Powers. I think i found a replacement, the Pirelli diabo corsa III rockwoot ! These are the same tire that they use in european superstock races and now they homoligated it into a DOT tire. I think they were introduced to compete with the PP2ct's.

Anyhow I went from a 65 series front to the pirelli 70 series without any real noticeable difference in turn-in. I did take 3/4 turn of pre-load outta the front but don't know that it was really necessary. These tires warm up fast and get super sticky. Very confidence inspiring, as i didn't have one "moment" on them yet. Front end feedback was always something that bothered me with the Pilot Powers, as i had the front push on me a few times. It could have been contributed to the mileage i guess but either way its an uneasy feeling.

I also emailed the Pirelli tech to inquire about tire pressures since there wasn't much info out. I told him my bike my weight the track and the projected conditions. He replied back within 24 hours and informed me that the target pressure was around 36 hot. He recommended setting the cold pressures to 32front and 34 rear, which seemed high for the track but what the hell do i know...lol Either way thats where i put em, and they stood there ground perfectly and showed some good wear (see pics below). I had forgotten my pressure gauge though so i never got around to checking the hot temps (borrowed one in the morning to set the cold PSI).

So far ive only got tracktime on these tires but I'll update this thread later as i get some miles on them. Not sure what he life is going to be like either, but they are dual compound (softer shoulders harder center) so i cant imagine that they would be any worse than the pilot power.

When I got mine I got them during the "buy a rear get a front" deal and the grand total (including $25 shipping on the front) was $190 for the set! I have checked around a little and www.motorcycle-superstore.com has them for around $260 a set, which is about $35 more than a set of pilot powers and about $10 cheaper than the pilot power 2ct.

As long as i get at least 2500-3000 miles outta these i'll probably buy another set. Great Tire!

The tire pics are from the session before lunch, the pace picked up a bit in the afternoon sessions but the tires looked about the same.

·
Registered
67 Posts
nice report. I am on the pilot powers right now and feel the same way you do about them. I am glad someone else tried those tires out. I should be getting my set in a couple days.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I just ran my Corsa III this last weekend at our track day. It was too cold to really get on them hard and get a good feel for them. First session hit the track at 8am and it was 36 degree out. I hope to see how they do in spring at the next track day.

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
45,114 Posts
Good info Hoser. As for the cold tire temp vs hot temp, I know on warm summer days at the track, from the start of the 1st session (i.e., tires cold) till the end of the 1st session, my tire pressure rises around 5 or 6 pounds, if I remember correctly. As your track day weather was a bit cooler, it would be interesting to note the difference 35 or 40 degrees of air temp....and therefore track surface temp....affects the tire pressure. Anyway, I still like the PPs but I am going to upgrade for my next track day. The profile of the rear always made me a little nervous, it's very "triangular" if you know what I mean but I never had any problems.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Originally posted by woncrzymof0
my tires are shot.. lemme know when you hit the roads, because i am anxious to see if they are good. i was leaning towards metzeler m3's.. any have them?
im with ^^^ him. my tires are almost shot and i cant deside between the 3.

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,495 Posts
Originally posted by woncrzymof0
my tires are shot.. lemme know when you hit the roads, because i am anxious to see if they are good. i was leaning towards metzeler m3's.. any have them?
I had the M3's on my 636. They looked set to last at least as long as PP's, had more steady grip, and much better feedback (you can actually tell where the edge of traction is...the PP's give you superman confidence because they never feel like they're going to slip...until all of a sudden you pass their traction edge and you wad it in some ridiculously spectacular way...if you push your traction, I'd definately recommend the M3's and regular Diablo Corsas over PP's). I'd imagine the Corsa 3's are a better track day/aggressive tire, but Pirelli's don't last long at all, especially their Corsa tires. I love me some Pirelli's, but if you're riding on the street, I'd go with the M3's all the way.

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
i've got 1000 miles with M3's so far and i love 'em

·
Registered
664 Posts
I've done three track days on my currnt set of Pirelli Diablo's and these tires give excellent grip,they have great feel,and they dont burn thru as quick as a pr5. I've been trying to burn thru my current set of Diablo's so I can spoon on a set of Dragon's ,I think this next track day and I WILL burn thru my current set.

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,495 Posts
Originally posted by cbccadet2002
Anyone think about qualifiers? I've been hearing alot about em but not really any reports on ride
That's what happens when something's over-hyped. lol...Pilot Powers, Qualifiers, the new R6...hehehe j/k

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
i bought those tires during that special too but i have yet to put them on because my pp's were still pretty new. I'll probably try to get one more track day out of the pp's in the spring before i do the switch over. good to hear that they seem to be working well for you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.