Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i've found the better side to working a job where I make more than enough money to pay my bills and now I can finally spoil my bike.

I wanted to beef up the bottom end of the motor a little bit andI was looking into piston kits, and possibly cams, but from what i've researched no one makes an aftermarket cam, and that kind of scares me if im gonna drop pistons in there.

I found a wiseco kit and a je kit that im interested in, they are both stock bore, but the je kit bumps the compression to 13:2:1 as where the wiseco kit keeps it stock at 12:9:1.

Does anyone who has broken these motors down and possibly used either of these piston kits know the tolerances of the motors if i've got a stock head and higher compression, and what else I might need to look into upgrading before I go ahead and buy the pistons?

·
Registered
254 Posts
If the 636 aint enough...save your cash and buy a 10r ? Whilst im all for a custom project it just seems a waste of money imo when 10r's can be had at nice prices.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I want a zx10 but cant give up my baby and to pick up some 1 eles bike .who knows how it was treated and so on . I say beef my baby up when its time i think ill go with the big bore.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The thing about YOUR bike is what you do different. what you change. It reflects on who you are and what your taste is. when someone looks at my bike, they know it's my bike, not just another green kawi. and a 600 is a very versatile bike. they're quick and they have a good top end now adays, and i'd be up to making my 600 as fast as i can to show up squids on a 1000 and make them look stupid.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the 636 aint enough...save your cash and buy a 10r ? Whilst im all for a custom project it just seems a waste of money imo when 10r's can be had at nice prices.
A waste of money? So its a waste of money to spend $1500 or so to beat 10r's as compared to getting rid of my bike being upside down in what I owe and then buying someone elses run down piece of junk?

That makes great sense.

So back to the topic on hand: My weekend has consisted mostly of reasearching this topic and talking to a few different people. And so far the angle im leaning towards is going with the wiseco piston kit at a stock bore and stock compression. Then buying a cometic metal head gasket which can hopefully get my compression up to about 13:1 or so, that way I wont have to worry about any head work. Where as if I went with the JE piston kit, it has a raised dome, so without question i'd have to do head work. And on top of that the route that im leaning towards is roughly $100-$150 cheaper.

The only thing im worried about is wanting to go in a do head work later on and then regretting not getting the JE pistons. Thats another reason why im searching for aftermarket cams, valves, valvesprings ect.

So if anyone else has anymore info please feel free to chime in.

·
Registered
113 Posts
kawi race has like 6 or so diffrent head gaskets u can run . the wiseco are forged so are je maybe je is better but are u running turbo and nos? the main thing your gana see is the 12.9-1 vs 13.2 or so. head gaskets can do that so maybe see what a stock head gasket is and go 1-2 sizes thiner or do home work and take it off the head . but a head vavle job makes a nice diffrence if u have it done at the right place . im in tha same boat as u but not building lower end. if u have high miles and need a set of juggs let me know i have a set with 1300 miles

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kawi race has like 6 or so diffrent head gaskets u can run . the wiseco are forged so are je maybe je is better but are u running turbo and nos? the main thing your gana see is the 12.9-1 vs 13.2 or so. head gaskets can do that so maybe see what a stock head gasket is and go 1-2 sizes thiner or do home work and take it off the head . but a head vavle job makes a nice diffrence if u have it done at the right place . im in tha same boat as u but not building lower end. if u have high miles and need a set of juggs let me know i have a set with 1300 miles
Yeah, Im planning on running nitrous, im just unusure of what shot. Im kind of set on a 30 but if I can get the bottom end beefed up I wouldnt feel so bad about a 40 shot. I was looking into the head gaskets and im confident that I could have a good set up that way and not have to do much more work to the motor. But with anything in life, i've come to learn that the more you put in the more you get out. But then I think;

Cheap and reliable= Not fast
Expensive and fast=unreliable
Fast and reliable= Bend over and be ready to take it up the ass money wise.

lol

I was looking into performance parts for the head as kind of a way to see what was out there that I could possibly get done to the motor also to make it safer to do what I want to do with it, but not go too crazy with it. I looked up ferrera's website and they sell blank valves and springs, maybe I could work something up with that. I just dont want to go too crazy, just enough to where I can reach a certain HP goal that I want and still keep it streetable to where I can ride it once a weekend or maybe a couple hundred miles a month.
Im aiming for 125-130 WHP on just motor and then 155-165 on Spray. And then maybe a High 9 second pass at the track, those are the goals I have in mind.

·
Registered
113 Posts
im pretty sure in 08 or 09 they went with bigger valves but with nos id keep it stock 12.9-1 less stress on motor and moley rings and some real good rod bolts if they make any the clyinder press is nutts on nos. im using info i use on cars i build with nos.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Higher compression will probably mean higher octane gas. There will be a point where you are going to have to run 100 or higher octane if you raise the compression enough. Tuning will also be vital so make sure you have a good way to tune it and a good tuner. I wouldn't mess with raising the compression unless you want your bike to run on nothing but $8/gallon gas just to make another 5-6hp.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Your dreaming. Formula bikes are barely making 130+hp on motor and they're not known for reliability. You would be better off sending the bike to KWS and getting a reliable stroker and spray on that. You'll be looking at around $6000+ (That's alot considering a 2006 ZX-10R w/Ohlins cartridges and TTX shock, quick shifter, rearsets and 182rwhp went for $5000 here in Prescott)

·
Registered
158 Posts
whats the new 09 kawie stock compression. i think i read 13.5? not sure though. either way, make sure u won't have to run race gas with the piston/gasket combo u go with. unless ur okay with doing that. im surprised hot cams doesn't have a cam for the zx6r

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
whats the new 09 kawie stock compression. i think i read 13.5? not sure though. either way, make sure u won't have to run race gas with the piston/gasket combo u go with. unless ur okay with doing that. im surprised hot cams doesn't have a cam for the zx6r
I'm not surprised because the ZX636 alreday had the Kit "Race" for the 03/04's.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts