Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to order a Pitbull rear stand today for my bike. I have a couple of questions (and yes I searched).

First...what is the difference between the SS and the standard? They both allow you to use spooled or standard setups (although how they are adjusted is different) and seem to fit the same bikes. Anyone own one and can help?

Second...what is the axel support? It is a $6 add to the price...what is it used for?

Third...The online store (official) has the stands for $135/144 respectively, is there a better retail outlet to buy from (cheaper) that someone here has ordered from and trusts?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I would assume the SS stands for stainless steel...thats just a shot in the dark as i haven't looked up the stands you are talking about.

·
Registered
768 Posts
The SS can work with or without spools by flipping the bracket over.

The Standard doesn't work with spools.

Either can be converted by ordering new support brackets on their accessory page.

The axle support is just a small post you can place your axle on so you don't loose it or roll away. Kinda silly imo but maybe handy if you work on bikes for a living.

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The SS can work with or without spools by flipping the bracket over.

The Standard doesn't work with spools.

Either can be converted by ordering new support brackets on their accessory page.

The axle support is just a small post you can place your axle on so you don't loose it or roll away. Kinda silly imo but maybe handy if you work on bikes for a living.
My bad...I meant Spooled stand, not standard. It would appear that SS stands for Standard/Spooled and allows for use of either. I have spools, but will probably order the SS just for shits and giggles sans the axle support.

Do you own one?

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
My bad...I meant Spooled stand, not standard. It would appear that SS stands for Standard/Spooled and allows for use of either. I have spools, but will probably order the SS just for shits and giggles sans the axle support.

Do you own one?

I own one. I only intend to use it with the spools, but it was the same price for either of them, so I figured I'd rather have the option than not.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I own one. I only intend to use it with the spools, but it was the same price for either of them, so I figured I'd rather have the option than not.
Probably the dumbest question ever, but do you think the pitbull was worth the money? I've got it in the basket now ready to order.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Probably the dumbest question ever, but do you think the pitbull was worth the money? I've got it in the basket now ready to order.
I don't have any experience with any other brands, but when I was in the store looking at the different stands they sell, the way they feel, the quality of the material, the weight and sturdiness of it-I went with the Pitbull. The others pailed in comparison. They looked almost toyish. It was definately more then I wanted to spend, but I'd rather spend the $150 I did on the stand then risk any damage to my bike from another brand not being made as well or last as long. But many others have nothing but good things to say about T-Rex and Hindle and a few other brands. So, it's really just up to you.

P.S.

Sorry it took me so long to respond, your thread got buried on page 3......

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
They are worth the money. I have watched a frineds bike fall off due to a cheap stand.

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't have any experience with any other brands, but when I was in the store looking at the different stands they sell, the way they feel, the quality of the material, the weight and sturdiness of it-I went with the Pitbull. The others pailed in comparison. They looked almost toyish. It was definately more then I wanted to spend, but I'd rather spend the $150 I did on the stand then risk any damage to my bike from another brand not being made as well or last as long. But many others have nothing but good things to say about T-Rex and Hindle and a few other brands. So, it's really just up to you.

P.S.

Sorry it took me so long to respond, your thread got buried on page 3......
No worries on the slow response, I'm sure people are sick to death of talking about "what is your favorite stand"! Thanks for the help. I'm going to check the dealership today while I'm picking up my gloves to see if they have one in stock. If not I will order one tomorrow! Thanks again!

Quik208 said:
They are worth the money. I have watched a frineds bike fall off due to a cheap stand.
Thanks for the input, I'm sold. Will post pictures after I get it!

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Slob, I was about to ask why you were paying so much for Pitbull stands before you asked yourself the same question. I know Pitbull owners swear they are the best on the market, but just how good does a bike stand have to be to do it's job? I just ordered front and rear T-Rex stands for my Ninja 250R off eBay and they were less than half of what you are paying for the Pitbulls. I could have paid even less for front and rear stands. There were several sets going for below $100 for both front and rear. Considering what they do and the materials they consist of, I think Pitbull stands are way overpriced. The T-Rex stands I ordered are more than adequate for working on the bike and storing it for the winter without developing flat spots on the tires. They are welded in all the right places and have a good warranty, which I will probably never take advantage of should my next bike have a centerstand. To pay over $200 for such a simple device seems excessive to me.

·
Powerhungry
38,368 Posts
ive got zero exp with pitbull, or t-rex. but ive got a set of S-spec stands. VERY sturdy. ive got NO worries leaving the bike up on them over the winter.
was about $140 for the SET through my dealer. they are cheaper online.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have Trex front/rear, a buddy of mine has Pitbull. Yes, Pitbull is worth the money IMHO you arent going to get a stronger stand without having a machine shop custom make you one. However, ive said before Trex is without a doubt the stoutest least rickety of the cheap stands.

Just depends on your budget.

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
I own rear (same as CaliGirl) and front (triple tree). Both are fantastic.

--David

Get them Slob, front and rear. You won't regret spending money on quality equipment.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
when you get the Pitbulls, just make sure your recycle and garbage day are coming up soon, because omg they are packaged so good, soooo much protection foam took 15 mins to just unpack lol
from official site, didn't find any worthy sales when i bought mine

·
Registered
180 Posts
I just bought the T-Rex rear stand and spools and it seems very well built. I had no problem lifting the bike and it is very stable. After all, the 250R is a fairly light bike so you don't need a bomb proof stand.

Tim

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I broke down and spent the money on the Pitbull this morning after hemming and hahing about it for a day. I feel good about the purchase.

Thanks for the feedback and all the PM's. I will post pictures when it arrives!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yes they are. I would also suggest getting the front stand that lifts from the lower triple. Makes it easy when you need to drop the forks for service.

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes they are. I would also suggest getting the front stand that lifts from the lower triple. Makes it easy when you need to drop the forks for service.
This might be a purchase later on, at this point I'm only comfortable with fluid changes, etc...nothing too difficult. That is excellent feedback though, thanks!

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I finally unpacked my Pitbull this morning and it certainly hasn't been a fun experience.

Let me first say the stand itself is amazing...it is sturdy, lightweight and expertly constructed.

My problems begin with the spool fork assembly. The instructions show it to be set up like this with the standard setup facing the inside...

Only in this configuration, the stand won't go around my fat rear tire and swing arm. No big deal, they are reversible so I swapped them around...

Next, I adjusted the fork widths to line up with my spools, which is kinda tricky since the bike is leaning on the kickstand, but this only took a few moments. I slid the stand under, balanced the bike holding the tail section and jacked it up with ease! Great right?

Wrong. Notice the bike is leaning towards the camera? Upon closer inspection I see that the larger of the the two fork ends which are supposed to face towards the front of the bike is actually too long and is digging into the swingarm slightly.

When I went around the other side I was terrified to see the right side of the bike (non-chain side) was balancing precariously on the longest end of the spool fork which was under the swingarm. The spool on that side was in no way contacting the swingarm!!! EEK! I quickly put the bike back down on it's kickstand and rolled the Pitbull out. Apparently the cheesy spools the prior owner had installed don't stick out far enough for the long, robust spool forks of the Pitbull.

I figured, oh well I can jack it up by the standard rubber lift (I bought the SS that does either) but quickly realized that the placement of the spools get in the way of that as well. So I can either wait until I can get some new spools or remove the ones that are on there for now and lift it with the standard side. I'm not in that big of a hurry, so I will wait. I'm going to call the local Kawasaki shop today...they carry the Pitbull and I'm hoping they have the right spools in stock.

·
Powerhungry
38,368 Posts
swap the ends side/side, so the longer finger is towards the back.

oh, and ALWAYS verify the the fork is placed correctly on the spool, before lifting it.

so those are pitbull stands huh?

i think im glad ive got the S spec ones. i think theyre a better built stand...for ALOT less money

1 - 20 of 29 Posts