Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my job is building out new markets and I have the opportunity to apply for a job in the following areas... Which is the best and why? and yes I know it's subjective, but i'm curious what your opinion is....

Washington, DC
Philadelphia, PA
Baltimore, MD
Chicago, IL

It would probably be for a year or two to gain some work experience...

I currently live in Denver, Co and am from Sunny California....

I miss California

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
None will compare to Socal...

Chicago is fucking cold.....and windy
DC traffic sucks beyond belief.....but they have some insane foreclosures going right now
Baltimore traffic is almost as bad as DC.....
Dont know a thing about Philadelphia....

so my suggestion is Philadelphia.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Philly sucks (fwiw I think all big cities suck) but over the bridge in South Jersey is a cool place to live. Lots to do, but not overly crowded. Plus you would be about an hour from the beaches and not that much further from NYC.

EDIT: And the Flyers are much better than the Blackhawks or Caps!

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
I'm born and raised in south philly and while i don't have a lot of experience with the other three cities I have been to a lot of places and I've been to DC and Baltimore a few times. From what I gather Chicago would be a little too on the cold side for me. Baltimore and DC seem the same to me. It could be nice to live down there, but I can say that the highway traffic is terrible....

Now on to Philly. I am by no means a fan of philly just because I live here. I actually used to not like it. But now its kinda growing on me and I actually think I'm gonna continue to live in the city after I finish school. I feel like it's the perfect size city in that it's got all the good stuff and convenience of a big city but it's small enough that I still run into someone I know almost everywhere I go, yet there's always tons of new people to meet. If you want to live outside of the city there are a lot of pretty cool suburbs also. South Jersey isn't bad like Kawmaro said but I would stay on this side of the bridge for a few reasons but mostly because I have a deep seeded hatred for Jersey cops. I lived in South Jersey for a few short stints and have a lot of friends out there. I've also lived in a few of the suburbs on this side for shot periods of time and there are neghborhoods to satisfy every prsonality within close proximity to the city. The city itself has a good nightlife and everything is easy to get to. One bad thing is the Philadelphia Parking Authority which if you've seen parking wars you'll know why. If you like cruising out on the bike at night there's a lot of bikes that go out in the city at night. I ride with a fun group of guys at night on the weekend during the summer. There are some good roads around here but you have to find them and know where to look. They may not be as easily accessible as twisty roads in other areas. But they did just open up a new awesome racetrack only 45 min from the city in south jersey if you're into track days and/or racing like I am. If you have any specific questions I'd be glad to answer them. O yea and most importantly we have the World Champion Philadelphia Phillies!!!!!!!! The sports complex is also pretty cool and easy ot get to.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
I'm born and raised in south philly and while i don't have a lot of experience with the other three cities I have been to a lot of places and I've been to DC and Baltimore a few times. From what I gather Chicago would be a little too on the cold side for me. Baltimore and DC seem the same to me. It could be nice to live down there, but I can say that the highway traffic is terrible....

Now on to Philly. I am by no means a fan of philly just because I live here. I actually used to not like it. But now its kinda growing on me and I actually think I'm gonna continue to live in the city after I finish school. I feel like it's the perfect size city in that it's got all the good stuff and convenience of a big city but it's small enough that I still run into someone I know almost everywhere I go, yet there's always tons of new people to meet. If you want to live outside of the city there are a lot of pretty cool suburbs also. South Jersey isn't bad like Kawmaro said but I would stay on this side of the bridge for a few reasons but mostly because I have a deep seeded hatred for Jersey cops. I lived in South Jersey for a few short stints and have a lot of friends out there. I've also lived in a few of the suburbs on this side for shot periods of time and there are neghborhoods to satisfy every prsonality within close proximity to the city. The city itself has a good nightlife and everything is easy to get to. One bad thing is the Philadelphia Parking Authority which if you've seen parking wars you'll know why. If you like cruising out on the bike at night there's a lot of bikes that go out in the city at night. I ride with a fun group of guys at night on the weekend during the summer. There are some good roads around here but you have to find them and know where to look. They may not be as easily accessible as twisty roads in other areas. But they did just open up a new awesome racetrack only 45 min from the city in south jersey if you're into track days and/or racing like I am. If you have any specific questions I'd be glad to answer them. O yea and most importantly we have the World Champion Philadelphia Phillies!!!!!!!! The sports complex is also pretty cool and easy ot get to.
I think it's an age thing. I used to love Philly when I was in college...mostly bc of the nightlife...but now that I'm married and have a couple kids, I have no use for the city. Now whenever I have to go, I just get annoyed with the congestion. I do miss the old neighborhood in S. Philly where I grew up tho. And it was nice to be able to walk to Pat's whenever I needed a steak.

EDIT: As for the suburbs, I gotta be as close to the water as possible so that seals the deal for me.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
EDIT: As for the suburbs, I gotta be as close to the water as possible so that seals the deal for me.
True I hear ya on that, but I'm less than 5 min from the bridge. I'll drive the extra 15 minutes or whatever especially now that they raised the toll to $4 even for bikes. O yea that's another reason not to live in jersey if you plan on working in philly or going there a lot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts