Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas, Im in desprate need of help I have two broken tabs on my headlight assm. and try to repair it with this plastic filler I bought and it just didn't work one tab has fell off already who has had to repair anything plastic on there bike and what did you use what type of brand and was there a special techinque you used I really need yalls help Thanks, Felles[?]

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
The fairing is made from ABS plastic. You can get solvent designed to weld ABS plastic plumbing pipe at Home Depot. If you do it properly it will make a joint that is as strong as the original piece because it is literally melting the pieces back together. You can make filler by disolving a little scrap plastic into the solvent to make a putty.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
i glued back two cracked pieces on my side fairing with plumbers goop. i found it at walmart for under $5. like swjohnsey said, it literaly melted the pieces back together and its really stuck on there like new. it has to say abs plastic on the carton somwhere.

Vin:"I live my life a 1/4 mile at a time"
Arturo:Hahahahhaha...Why?

·
Registered
501 Posts
I bought Plastifix (plastifix.com) I am using it to fill the holes where the grab handles go and two cracks on the same fairing. So far very good. The repairs came out awesome. Also with this kit you can duplicate broken tabs and glue them back on. Check them out, I like it. [^]

Let Saddam come and play!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys, are you all talking about all purpose cement for pvc,abs,cpvc I think it is I just bought it in the plumbing dept. at home depot can I just use it like glue or do I have to mix it with plastic like you were saying SW.If I got the wrong stuff could you tell the brand you have thanks, Mike C.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
The stuff for PVC is different than the stuff for ABS. It is not really a glue, but a solvent that disolves the plastic and melts it together. It will be in the plumbing section and will say for ABS. ABS pipe is generally black and is not the stuff used in normal household plumbing. I think it may be used in sprinkler systems.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
look for a purple carton the says "plumbers goo" or "gloop". like i said it should be in the plumbing section. if you dont find anything find som3ething that says it will glue back abs plastic. dont use super glue or bondo. bondo will break of with vibration.

Vin:"I live my life a 1/4 mile at a time"
Arturo:Hahahahhaha...Why?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright I just got the plumber goop (purple carton),I cant tell if its going to work I have to wait till it cures but SWjohnsey the stuff that you decribed I can't find and if that solvent disovles the plastic then I think it would work better than the plumbers goop that I have I went to Home Depot looking for it and they look at me like Im talking in some other language could you posab. show a pic of what you have I no its prob. right under my nose.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I can't find the stuff I bought to get a brand name. I live in the stix about an hour from the nearest Home Depot. I will go to the nearest lumber yard and see if they carry the stuff I was using. I work with PVC and CPVC, the stuff that is normally used in homes and I know that it is a different glue. Did you check out the section that carries the lawn sprinkler system pipe?

·
Registered
72 Posts
All, I just cracked my upper cowling . Crack is about 4 inches in length. I am headed to Home depot tonight to pick up that solvent / goop that has been discussed..
Let me know how all the repairs turned up...

·
Registered
96 Posts
What you're looking for is Oatey ABS Cement. See www.oatey.com for picture of can. There's 2 versions, black and clear, but I haven't been able to find the clear sold retail. Try Lowes, but not in a state with low VOC regulations. Sold in Va. but not in Md.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.