Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tryed checking the float bowl it's fine, pulled out my plug it has spark, and the compression seems fine. So why can't I get er' started?

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Ok, what is "it"???

Generally speaking:
Drain the tank (completely) and put fresh fuel in it. Drain the float bowl as well.
Replace the sparkplug (make sure the gap is correctly set).
Shoot a blast of carb cleaner into the carb throat.

Without more details, that's all I got.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
2005 rmz450. I did all that, and a lot more. I just got back from local shop they checked my spark it was 22-24 volts normal. Man I just can't figure it out man.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a four stroke suzuki dirtbike. i noticed that the air intake from the carb is kinda blowing spitting out. I sprayed some starting fluid into the intake kicked it... and some fluid spit out.
I also have pressure coming out of tail pipe. Could my timing have jumped?

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Here's a relevant question... was the bike running at all for you & then just stopped running, or did you get it used & it never ran?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have tried thumpertalk but they don't seem to have any suggestions. I was warming it up for a couple minutes, then rode it around to adust my new clutch lever for maybe five minutes very very light riding. Turned it off leaned my bike on a tree grabbed my helmet jump back on kicked, kicked, and kicked. Then six more guy's kicked. We did all the obvious gas, spark ect. I'm kinda hard on my dirtbikes, i do all the basic maintaince on my bikes... So I'm hoping it's just my timing. I'm ordering a manual now.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
If it ran for awhile, it's probably not the timing. If the timing's off it won't run (or run very badly) from the get-go.

This still sounds like a fuel/mix or carburetor problem. Drain the float bowl, and replace the fuel in the tank. Spray out the jets with carb cleaner - you may have to disassemble the carb & soak it overnight if it's gummed up badly.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Good questions Tony, and I agree. If it ran before, don't mess with any adjustments. Install a new plug, check for spark. If that's ok, try shooting a little gas through the carb. If she fires, you have a fuel problem. Start from the source: Tank, petcock, line, filter, needle, seat, float.....you get the point.

Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Wow yeah so I took her apart found my timing was off by 7 teeth. I've been fearing working on the four stroke motor since I had bought it. But once I got into her she's not that much harder than a 2 stroker. Took alittle time but she's running sweet, now I have twice the compression. I can't wiat for tomorrow so i can run it. Hey thanks for the info, and the luck. One more question would the timing being off make the bike over heat?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts