Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed my bike will eat oil when pushed hard... which is most of the time. :D

To date, I have 1000 miles on the bike and have changed oil 3 times before my switch to synthetic at 1000. Prior to reaching the 1000 mark, I noticed my oil level would drop enough in the sight glass to warrant topping it off, which I fully expected as this engine is notorious for consuming oil with it's high revving nature.

Now with the switch to synthetic (Shell Rotella T 5W-40) at my 4th oil change, I have heard from more than one (knowledgeable) member's experience that when switching to synthetic, the burning of oil stopped and the oil level stayed pretty much constant between oil changes.

This seems curious to me as I would think the more slippery synthetic would manage to slip by the rings easier than a conventional oil.

So the question(s) is... have you noticed any oil consumption on your bike between oil changes and are you using conventional or synthetic oil?

·
Powerhungry
37,892 Posts
higher revving? my 636 revs out higher, and uses NO oil...

with the 250, part of the problem is LACK of oil initially. its holds half what the bigger bikes hold.

and i would bet, its getting aerated, and that it not getting past the rings(or very little is) but is getting pulled into the airbox, and consumed that way.

as far as synthetic oil goes.... "I"dont buy into the hype associtaed with it. i can almost gurantee the bike will outlast me. with regular oil changes using regular old dyno oil.

·
Registered
350 Posts
higher revving? my 636 revs out higher, and uses NO oil...
most of the bigger better bikes rev higher, but the 250 has to be held at much higher RPMs to keep up any decent speed. I doubt most people cruise their 636 at 9K rpms for long periods of time at normal highway speeds. (not to say that most people dont cruise their 636s at 9K RPMs at way over highway speeds)

·
Registered
45 Posts
as far as synthetic oil goes....dont buy into the hype associtaed with it. i can almost gurantee the bike will outlast me. with regular oil changes using regular old dyno oil.
While I agree with you Nevada on this, to me when I switched to synthetic I had a noticeable change in the bikes performance. Smoother acceleration, much less vibration from the engine at all speeds and the clutch operates more smooth than with regular oil.

For me the reduced vibration is worth it alone when I'm cruising on the interstate. I broke my engine in using the HARD method.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey kkim im not sure how much this would change oil consumption but another question should be how did your break-in go
good information that I neglected to include to include in my original post... I used the "hard" method of break in from day one.

Regardless, I am interested in if your bike consumes oil or not and what type of oil were you using at the time?

mahalo
:)

Also, I would prefer if the thread not get into a conventional vs synthetic oil debate. :eek:

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Four oil changes. 3 from dinosaurs before 1000 miles. Last change at 1000 miles and Mobile 1. Just doing new change at 4000 miles with Mobile 1 again (K&N filters). Oil consumed with first 1000 miles, no loss since then with Mobile 1.

Break-in was riding below 4000 RPM with power blasts through each gear and coast back to 4000 RPM within first 500 miles then same at 6000 RPM to 1000 miles. After 1000 miles full blast to 21000 RPM on no occassions.

·
Registered
443 Posts
2K miles. 10-40 conventional motorcycle oil (Kawi, Motul, Honda). Mostly Kawi low rev type break-in to 500 miles, then game on. No oil consumption thus far, but I don't spend a lot of time up high, most just lots of hard accels.

Edit: and the occasional blast to 22K rpms.

·
Registered
29 Posts
good information that I neglected to include
just one more thought going along with the break-in. though it dosnt seem 100%reading some posts here.

pre-1000 miles the engine is still 'breaking in' hence you probably will have more blow-by consumption ect especially if you ride it hard before anything has seated.

so maybe its not the switch to synthetic thats curing some oil loss but the fact that the engine is finally broke-in.. :confused:

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
2K miles. 10-40 conventional motorcycle oil (Kawi, Motul, Honda). Mostly Kawi low rev type break-in to 500 miles, then game on. No oil consumption thus far, but I don't spend a lot of time up high, most just lots of hard accels.

Edit: and the occasional blast to 22K rpms.
The first liar doesn't have a chance!

·
Registered
848 Posts
negative on the high oil consumption, I have over 800 miles since the last oil change and it still just a little below the max line. I drive at 75 or so for a while on the highway, and generally shift at red line...
EDIT: total mileage is 1920 with 3 oil changes (400, 800, 1100(doesn't make sense I know))

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
On my old 08' Ninja (may it rest in peace) I had to top the oil off a couple of times with 10w-30 before 600mi., but it took a very small amount of oil both times. When I bought Scott's Mod Monster, I asked if he was running synthetic, since it was just over 1000k. He told me that he would'nt run synthetic in a 250 because he thought it would not shift as well and uses Rotella truck oil which is thicker and according to him lubes the clutch better. Makes sense to me since you wouldn't want to run too thin an oil in a wet clutch, especially one that uses as little oil as the 250R compared to other bikes. So Kkim, how's your bike shifting with the synthetic?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
True baby, mine shifts fine with Mobile 1. It actually shifted better after I went to full synthetic. I used to run Delvac full synthetic Truck oil in verything when I lived on the Island, even Harleys. I loved that juice.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
True baby, mine shifts fine with Mobile 1. It actually shifted better after I went to full synthetic. I used to run Delvac full synthetic Truck oil in verything when I lived on the Island, even Harleys. I loved that juice.
Thanks enz. I'm scribbling that brand name down right now for future referrence. hey, isn't it almost time to change your avatar to one of Ralph Nader?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I guess you've been too busy adding names to your ignore list. :rolleyes:
yes, there have been quite a few added lately due to the influx of box jellyfish.... they are cyclic, you know, and unlike the locals, they will hopefully be long gone before they realize how to adapt.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
yes, there have been quite a few added lately due to the influx of box jellyfish.... they are cyclic, you know, and unlike the locals, they will hopefully be long gone before they realize how to adapt.
Agreed. And we're probably at the high point of the year right now. I've been meaning to commend you on your reserve as of late. For someone as affable as you've always been here, I have noticed a certain annoyed quality to several of your recent posts. All deserved of course. But it's nice to know that doesn't prevent you from jumping at the chance to lend a hand when it's truly needed. I'd hate to see the riff raff get to you the way it has to some. You're practically an institution on KF, so it's good to see you're so adept at separating the wheat from the chaff. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts