Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey gang, this is my first post and I need some feedback/trouble shooting help. My dad has a 99-zx9r, with about 14,500 miles on it. The problem is that its only running on 2 or 3 cylinders, its sounds like an EX 500(shitty sounding/very smoky exhaust). I have a 10r and the last time we rode together(about 3 weeks ago)his 9r ran perfect, we went to go ride tonight and the bike ran for about 30 seconds, sounded bad, a made white smoke and stalled. we took the tank off and cleaned the plugs, it started but ran like garbage, still smokes. anybody got any idea what might be wrong? do you think it might just need a tune up? any ideas or suggestions are welcome
thanks fellas

·
Registered
126 Posts
Get a water bottle and spray each exhaust header tube while it's running. If one doesn't steam up or smoke then that cylinder is not firing or getting gas. You may have a clogged idle jet or main if you store the bike in a hot garage for too long.

·
Registered
367 Posts
hmmmm a hot garage in new hampshire? maybe if its on fire ;)

but yeah, do the water trick to work out which is the problem cylinder, then open up the float bowl drain to see if fuel comes out, if not then perhaps its a sticky float or float valve... or if it does... with the tank off you can take the float bowl cover off with a short phillips head screw driver, then the main jet and idle jet comes off easily with a flat blade screwdriver... then maybe soak them in carby cleaner and blow them out with compressed air (dont stick anything thru them! easily damaged)

while your there it would be worth pulling the air box off and pulling out the suspect plug and testing it for spark, if none then maybe switch some of the stick coils and see if the problem moves from cylinder to cylinder... if so your up for a new stick coil(s)

if its got spark, has fuel, the jets are not blocked... then i would get the compression tester out and be expecting the worst [B)]

·
Registered
367 Posts
lol... point is, if a bike is being stored in a garage in new hampshire for a long time, its probably because its too cold to ride - i assume it snows in winter up there?

on that note... its only 50f here today :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.