Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gotta 99ZX6R w/bout 35,000 miles on it. and the plug wires are all cracked and also one of the plug wires ripped out of one of the boots. I stuck it back together, but im not sure if its running at its full potential or not. So I think I should replace the plug wires, but dont know how. Here is a diagram on buykawasaki http://www.buykawasaki.com/scripts/ImgServ.exe/convert?ilFN=e:\epcimages\C18\C1824
If I buy the new ignition coils (21121,21121A) will that come with the new wires as well? And how do u attach them to the plug boots?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Bsc,
I would suggest getting wires from Dyna. They are silicone and will stand up to much higher temperatures. They are also extremely soft and supple. When standard OEM wires get old they become even harder and this takes a toll on the connection ends, as you discovered. The silicone items will outlast the bike itself. You may have to get some help crimping the wires correctly as special tools are needed. I also installed Dyna coils, as they are have higher specs than the OEM items.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
The ignition wire on the ZX-6R is very low tech solid core wire. Nothing works better. The boot that attaches to the spark plug just screws into the wire. Once you take it off it is a good idea to cut off about 1/4" to get a good hold. To tell you the truth I have never taken off the coil end but is suspect that there is a screw-on type connector there, too. You can replace all four wires for about $5. That type wire used to be call Packard 440. I am not sure nowadays.

·
Registered
130 Posts
swjohnsey,
Once again you're only interested in contradicting every post I make. Apparently, your not even reading the initial post here. BSC is complaining about the OEM wires cracking and being ripped out of the boots. ‘Hello’, are you getting any of this. The problem with 'all' OEM wires is that they do indeed suffer from exactly what BSC describes. He’s not hallucinating. The aftermarket wire manufacturers have for many years offered the market a much better product. Silicone is a great improvement over the OEM wires, precisely because they virtually eliminate the problems mentioned here. But again, you don’t seem to care about helping this individual, but only to somehow disagree with my recommendations. This is a very straight-forward solution. I encounter this same problem on practically every bike I service. Just as BSC says, extreme care must be taken not to pull the wires right out the caps or coils as the wires are often as hard as wood and cannot easily be worked with. The silicone wires are as supple as an old clothes line and a real pleasure to handle.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
They also are not designed to work with the factory boots. He can buy your stuff for a few hundred dollars or replace the factory wires with the equivalent of what is there now for about $2. Mine are 8 years old and are still working fine.

·
Registered
130 Posts
swjohnsey,
Will you never stop with the baloney? A complete set of Dyna silicon wires with caps and coil ends sell for $20 to $25, not a 'few hundred' dollars. I regularly pay about $125 for a complete set of Dyna coils with wires. Once again stop trying to deliberately mislead. BSC hasn't done anything to you, that I know of. He doesn't need a bunch of 'off the wall' statements intended only to mislead.
I'm truly happy that your OEM wires are lasting so long, unless you’re distorting the truth here as well. Personally, I have never seen a bike more than 3 or 4 years old where the wires weren't becoming pretty darn stiff and difficult to work with.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Probably the biggest difference between you and I (aside for intelligence and experience) is that you are trying to sell something and I am not.

·
Registered
130 Posts
swjohnsey,
You've got to be kidding. What can you possible think I trying to sell here? We're talking about old plug wires and I'm attempting to answer BSC's question, pure and simple. What are you trying to do?

I must apologize to BSC for having his perfectly good question turned into a sideshow. I'm doing my best to stay on topic and render good advice. I hope you can see past this nonsense and come to a workable solution to your wiring problem. You can replace the OEM wires and continue to deal with the same old problem or you can eliminate the hassle forever with silicon wires. It's just that simple.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Once again:

I have to admit this is entertaining as all hell. You guys arguing is the funniest shit since that damn "are we going to war" post LMAO :D:D:D

Let Saddam come and play!

·
Registered
130 Posts
eltorito,
I don't find this a bit funny. It's pretty darn pathetic, if you ask me. All I'm trying to do is respond to questions asked and introduce some things that should be of considerable value and interest to everyone here. It's really unfortunate that one guy can disrupt the entire process and prevent everyone else, including you, from participation in any kind of dialog. The name of this section is "Tech Tips & Help", not the Kiddie Corner. I have been in this business for many years and have always enjoyed helping others. You should encourage meaningful dialog and discourage the kind of deliberate derailing tactics so ‘expertly’ practiced by swjohnsey. His efforts will only detract from any real value derived from this website. I have several other ‘favorite’ products as well, but I can’t seriously entertain even attempting to start another bag of worms, as swjohnsey will undoubtedly scream and holler until everything he doesn’t understand is silenced.

·
Registered
501 Posts
You really think that any of you have so much power as to influence anyone's decison making process??? Dont be so conceded! Regardless of your diatribes, I will investigate whatever I feel like on my own. And so will everyone else. It is pretty funny that you attempt to sound so educated as to impress us all with your education. You label many as childish but at the same time you are not mature enough to just let it ride. Why are you so concerned with what we think of you? I dont even live in your neck of the woods. If you have something meaningful to offer to this club and its membership then do so and quit worrying about the so called "children" that are bothering you. If not just do as you have been, keep whinning. [}:)]

PS Sorry if I mispelled anything since my main language is spanish and I am a product of a third world country. By the way, what is MIT? [8D][8D]

Let Saddam come and play!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.