Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for anyone asking about riding on plugged tires, i just found out riding in the rain is a bad thing. I plugged my tire a week ago and have put over 100 miles on the plug with no problems highway and aggressive riding alike. Last night i rode home in the rain from work and everything seemed fine except when i went to leave for work this morning the tire was flat. It seemed that the water stripped away all the adhesive glue and cement stuffand just the fiber of the plug was there all dried up. Good thing i already ordered a new tire that should be arriving today, but i had to get a ride to work and i have to find a way to get my bike to the shop to have the new tire put on when i get it. By the way the plug was for a very small hole just off center in the middle of the tire on the flat part of the tire, not in the tread. And also plug was put in by a proffesional tire guy.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I have put thousands of miles on plugged tires (including wet conditions) and have never had a problem. Seems like I always run over something with only a few hundred miles on a new tire. Very strange.

A tire plug that can't get wet . . .[:M99]

·
Registered
891 Posts
You sure it wasn't patched? Patches will come loose when water dilutes the adhesive, but a plug prevents that. I have 2500 miles on a plugged pilot power in rain and all, and i never even had to add air.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Originally posted by JCP636
...And also plug was put in by a proffesional tire guy.
That's funny... sounds like an oxymoron to me. (no offense to any tire-slingers out there... hey, i've done it myself as a f.t. job, and never once did i meet or work with anyone I'd consider even close to "professional")

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its definitely a plug. The only other thing i can think of is that maybe i got another hole last night that i didnt see, but i doubt it. I figured thats what it had to be. just plugged, plug looks all dried up, flat tire, i dunno maybe theres another explanation or maybe i needed to put more miles on it to wear it in.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Originally posted by JCP636
its definitely a plug. The only other thing i can think of is that maybe i got another hole last night that i didnt see, but i doubt it. I figured thats what it had to be. just plugged, plug looks all dried up, flat tire, i dunno maybe theres another explanation or maybe i needed to put more miles on it to wear it in.

Fill up the tire and put a little oil over the plug. If it bubbles, that's where you're hole is. If not, your hole is elsewhere. Huh-huh, I said hole.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.