Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a small nail in my NEW tire (Bridgestone BattleAxe) about three weeks ago (center of tread). I repaired it with a sticky plug and glue... It has not leaked since. My question is; is this tire in theory unreliable or really unreliable? I am going on a long road-trip this weekend and am curious if anyone can speak from experience about riding on a plugged tire.

I have never had a problem with a plug in a car tire... Some people say it is OK as long as it is only one per quadrant and you stay under a certain mph depending on the rating of your tire. And some people say the plug is just good enough to get your bike to the shop.

I already need to spend money on a new helmet cuz it was dropped. If I need a new tire because of one small nail... I am switch to a less expensive hobby. :rolleyes:

·
fap-o-caster
50,488 Posts
It depends on the quality of the patch job and the overall leftover life of the tyre. Some guys will ride em with no issues. While the math says that it'll work fine, me personally, I would rather replace the tyre. True, that can get expensive, but since everything on a bike rides on the tyres and the traction they provide, I would not take the risk. yes I have replaced a newish tyre the same way that got a nail in it after a few months old. This has been and always will be an expensive hobby. Gotta pay to play my friend!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Getting nails in your tire is just a part of riding. I've had my bike a little over a year and have already had 2. The first one was about a month after I got the bike. The second was about a month after I put a new Pirelli Corsa III on it. So in a year I've had 4 tires on my back wheel!

As far as plugging it goes. I know guys who always plug their tire and then ride the hell out of it. Other folks would never ride on a plugged tire. Personally I wouldn't do a long ride on a plugged tire but I'm scared of blowing a tire out in the middle of no where. That's a decision you'll have to make for yourself. If I had to choose between a new helmet and a new tire I would choose the tire.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I got a nail after only 500 miles, plugged it and ran the tire for the rest of it's life. Roughly 3500 miles. This was the second time I ran on a plugged tire and had no issues. BUT, it is up to you and your comfort level. Don't buy the helmet or the tire right now. Go on your trip and carry the cash with you in case you need to replace the tire on the trip. If you get back with no issues then buy your helmet.

How far was the drop of the helmet?

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
Many of my friends and myself have ridden both street and track with plugged tires. Just keep an eye on it.

--David

·
Registered
372 Posts
Every rear tire ive bought and one front had to be plugged and ive never had a problem. I would just recommend checking the tire pressure the first few rides and replacing the tire a little earlier than usual.

·
Registered
91 Posts
thanks,

I hope that I can get my bike in for new tire by Friday.

Any recommendations on good tires? I have a zx6r...
In my area the only tire that all the dealers carry are the Dunlops. If you want anything else than you have to order it. Tires are cheaper to order online but then the dealer charges you more to put them on.

I like the Pirelli Corsa 3's. But that's the only thing I've used other than the stock tires.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I rode my rear tire after plugging it and it was fine. Still leaked about 4 psi a day ,though. Honestly, it didn't bug me much, a few pumps from the bike pump wasn't so bad every now and then. I did tear up the twisties more than I should have probably, but I survived.

I always carry a mini pump and a tire repair kit in a tank bag.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I haven't had the opportunity to purchase a new set of motorcycle tires yet. Did they come with a road hazard warranty like car tires do? I got a nail in my rear left tire once and they replaced it free of charge.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I haven't had the opportunity to purchase a new set of motorcycle tires yet. Did they come with a road hazard warranty like car tires do? I got a nail in my rear left tire once and they replaced it free of charge.
I've never bought a tire from a dealer but I've never seen any online sites that offer a road hazard warranty on bike tires. Given the fact that bike tires are so soft and that most bikers ride in the center of lane where they pick up all the nails that the cars miss... I doubt anybody would offer something like that.

But uf you find someone who does let me know!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I plugged my rear tire and it would leak down every time it sat overnight in the garage. I used a special plugging system we use at my shop and it still didnt hold. The plugs we use are 5ply rubber plugs, not the crappy string plugs. I think it would have held but me and my nephew were leaving a buddy of his house and we both did a burn out and I think it made the damn hole expand, so it was my stupidity because I didnt even think about the plug. lol. It did hold up before that though. I still rode on the tire for awhile until I had the cash for a new tire and I rode the hell out of it and it was fine. I would just run more air in it than I usually would just in case. Just keep a tire gauge with you and check it every time you stop at a service station.

As for a good replacement tire, I would recommend the Metzler Sportec M3. It is the best tire I have ever had on my bike. Grips really well in dry and wet weather and I feel more confident going into a turns at higher speeds. Before the Metzler I was running Bridgestone's. The Metzler was affordable and everyone I have ever rode with always recommended them. I will never run anything else unless I have no choice.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Did you get it plugged at a bike dealership or at a car place? I know around me no dealers will plug a tire. They say it's too much of a liability.
Bike place, Good Times Kawasaki. The tire places I checked with said the same thing, but the bike place said they've never had a blow-out (that they know of), and they back it with a life of the tire warranty on the patch job.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
i personally don't like plugging bike tires, sketches me out & its always on my mind, i've see plugs pull out in the past, i would say it would be ok for a short term solution but not until the tire is spent though, get ahold of indysuperbikes & they can prob get you one of them next day ;)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts