Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am starting to get a vibration in the higher revs(above 7k) and I'm suspecting the plugs maybe getting fouled or one or two is loose possibly. I had the airbox off and can get to the plug caps but how do you pop the caps off each ? I want to be sure before breaking them.

Also, the 1 and 4 plugs look like they will be an absolute bitch to get that tool on them and have any torque.

Green/Black 01ZX6r. LP LP flushmount v's, tank guard. Removed decals, 2002 rear fairing, Pyramid hugger

96 SVT Cobra Black/Tan Vert 32V. Not stock!

93 Blue Probe GT 24V Commuter car.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
The plugs come out easy if you have the tool that came in the tool kit. Most normal spark plug sockets are too fat to fit down the wells. To get the caps off twist them from side to side a little to break the free and then you can pull them off. Take plugs out cold on aluminum head.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, i got the caps off and the tool on the plugs but i need the part that connects to the top of the tool on the plug so i can turn it. i feel like an idiot because i can't figure out which tool in the kit is supposed to connect to the big plug socket tool in the kit.

Green/Black 01ZX6r. LP LP flushmount v's, tank guard. Removed decals, 2002 rear fairing, Pyramid hugger

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just used my socket from my car and that worked fine. All plugs were tight..

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I think you are supposed to turn the plug tool with one of the open end wrenches. You should have pulled the plugs to take a look at them if you where that far. Plugs are one of the things that really need to be torqued (113 in/lbs).

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought about looking at them but the engine was warm so I left them alone with the delicate aluminum heads. Seeing that I can get to the plugs in under 10 mins, I'll probably get in there again very soon. My bike has about 5800 miles on it now so I doubt the plugs are bad already. Either way, I probably will replace them or clean them as soon as the season is over.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I pulled the original plugs on mine at about 8,000 miles. They looked very good but I changed them anyway. I probably won't change them again for at least 10,000. The dealer hear really bends you over for plugs. They want like 8 bucks a piece. I get them mail order for less than 4. F**K the dealer and the horse he rode in on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.