Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not on my ninja, however. it happened on my 1975 goldwing project bike, because i don't think the stupid ass who had the bike before me ever changed the plugs. EVER. so the 28 year old severly corroded plugs just snapped in two of the cylinders. on cylinder #1, the entire electrode came out, along with the hex head, but not the bottom threads. it's almost flush with the block, and the space is way too small for vice grips. i have never ever seen this happen before, and i wish i had a picture to help explain it better. but now on cylinder #3, the electrode just broke off, taking the hex head with it. the bottom of the electrode and threads are stuck in there. the other two plugs came out fine. my neighbor, who is an engineer at the lab, and builds all kinds of old bikes and cars, is going to take a look at it tomorrow. in the meantime, does anybody have any ideas i can try to get those damn plugs outta there? i really don't want to have to scrap this bike.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
You can usually remove the broken off portion of the spark plug with an Easy-Out. You might have to use an extention and twelve point socket to get it down the hole.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what's an easy out? i have been soaking it in penetrant for a few days now, and probably tomorrow we're going to try heating up the block, because it's aluminum, so maybe it will expand just enough for the plugs to come out. stupid plugs. thanks for the advice tho :)

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Easy-Out = Broken screw extractor. The come in a couple of flavors, the square ones and the ones that look like a reverse spiral.

·
Registered
7 Posts
try using some jbweld and a bolt just jbweld the bolt to the center of whats left of the plug i've had pretty good success with that method

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok. i tried the JBweld on the one plug, and the other one i'm probably going to have to use easy out, because there's not enough surface for the weld to stick to. i hope it works. its drying right now

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
damn thing. i thought i had cleaned it out good enough, but i guess not, because the weld didn't take to the plugs; only the rust that was on it i guess. looks like i'll have to really scrub that thing before i try again[xx(]

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
welp, i tried again, and the weld just isn't holdin up. it was bonding to the metal, but it comes off under the amount of pressure i have to put on it. so, the next contender is easy out. if this doesn't work i think i'm going to have to scrap it. anyone want a goldwing?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Get an easy out and a small gas torch, You can buy these from hobby or electronic shops. heat it up (the whole area)for about 5 minutes but be carefull not to stick on just one place for too long, and try again with the easy out extractor. Heat will shift anything.

Ash

www.mcnninjas.co.uk The Best Ninja Owners Forum un the UK

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.