Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure a lot of you have had this happen to you: you're going at a decent clip through the corners and you're rapidly catching another rider. Corner by corner you close in, then when the guy notices you're right behind him, he starts to gas it to the max out of every corner....obviously trying to "race" you and prevent the pass. Of coure you're responsible and don't want to try passing in a turn or outbraking someone on a fairly narrow road. Anyway, you easily stay with him on the gas...then he brakes hard for the next turn and proceeds through it at a painfully slow pace. Annoying yes, but surely he knows you caught him through superior cornering speeds, and after a few corners he will move over and let you pass, right? WRONG!!!!!! This happened to me today, and it really pissed me off this time. I know, I know...the right thing to do is just stop at a lookout and let him go, wait a few minutes, and resume your cornering speed unabated. But I stayed fairly close the rest of the way up the mountain, perhaps for another 5-6 miles, and we had a little confrontation at the top. He said he knew I was there and if I couldn't pass it was my problem, and of course I said he was wasting my corners. Of course he didn't get it. So, I waited for him to start his bike and head back down. I started out in front of him and rapidly pulled away, then slowed down to let him catch up, then pulled away (about 10 times) and I did it in a way that he could see that I was cornering faster. Maybe I was wrong to do that and should have just avoided him completely, but sometimes it just gets to me.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
hahaha, better man then me, i would have just went right pass him in the corner.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Happens to me alot especialy with guys on bigger bikes. I give them the chance to let me by if not I'll just pass them. I also let the faster guys pass me.

·
Registered
622 Posts
i don't understand, what's a corner?!?!?!?;)

i would have passed him after about 2-3 minutes.... that's more than enough time for him to notice he was holding you up[:M7]

·
Registered
552 Posts
This especially pisses me off on the track. Last weekend at Road America there was a guy on a 954 behind me and would pass me on every straight (if you haven't seen road america there are 3 straights where you can really, really punch it) then I'd have to pass him again on the turns. It completely messed up my lines cause I'd always have to change my line to pass him.

I thought it was a unwritten rule of the track that if a guy passes you on the corners you shouldn't pass him in the straights.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Originally posted by bittersweetrya

I thought it was a unwritten rule of the track that if a guy passes you on the corners you shouldn't pass him in the straights.

That should be in the Sportbike Man Law.:D

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
It's also something we mention in almost every riders meeting, at our trackdays. Unfortunately, there's always people that don't want to learn, they just want to maintain an illusion of being fast. Usually people like this ride Busses (Hayabusa) or liter bikes.

·
Premium Member
5,831 Posts
Originally posted by bittersweetryan
This especially pisses me off on the track. Last weekend at Road America there was a guy on a 954 behind me and would pass me on every straight (if you haven't seen road america there are 3 straights where you can really, really punch it) then I'd have to pass him again on the turns. It completely messed up my lines cause I'd always have to change my line to pass him.

Then on the other side of the spectrum, you have the idiots that THINK they can corner, and end up doing something ridiculously stupid in front of you.

I've had guys (that I didn't even know were there, mind you) try to out-brake me into a corner. Just out of courtesy, if I see them trying to get around me, I usually just back off. But this one guy last July stuffed me on the inside of turn 1 at VIR at the very last second and then ran off the track because he couldn't hold his line. First of all, it scared the crap out of me and I almost hit him. But then they had to shut down the track to clean up his mess, wasting valuable track time.

The guy was able to get his bike back together and went out later in the day. I saw him cornering and there was no reason he needed to go around me. He was really slow.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but let me ask a question. Why do most of you guys hate straight line racers? Im not talking about someone on a track that cant corner, but acts like it(or a potential hazard). I mean there is alot of descension among fellow bikers, in regards to "chicken strips", stretched bikes, and straight liners. I am a drag racer. My car (91 Firebird) is setup for dragging, and hopefully someday will be a 10 second car. I dont like the twisties. To unpredictable for me. Im just wondering why everyone talks bad about a guy who can pass you on a straight. If he happens to pass you on the straight that has the finish line, he still wins. And I have never heard of an unwritten rule that says you cant pass a guy on a straight stretch, if he passed you first in a corner. Not trying to start anything, just wondering. I am saving for a bike in the spring, and want to get a big bike. I just dont want a bunch of people hating, because I dont shred the rubber up against the rim. Id rather go to a drag strip.

·
Registered
622 Posts
any bike can go fast in a straight line, that's a given.... i can throw my 10 year old on my bike & he can twist his wrist. not much to it. it takes some skill to learn how to enter, maintain, & exit a corner at a high rate of speed and when you get some1 in front of you that can't hold a line it throws you off your ride (sometimes literally). imagine if you will, you're drag racing down the ¼ mile & the guy next to you is a tad bit slower, so off the launch he goes into your lane & gets in front of you....does he cross the ¼ mile first... maybe, is he quicker? no.... i don't think "most" people hate on drag racers, it's just those people that hit the twisties that don't have the coutesy to move over when they know they're holding people up & then punch it on the straights just to stay ahead......

·
Registered
552 Posts
Originally posted by drummerdad
Pardon my ignorance, but let me ask a question. Why do most of you guys hate straight line racers? Im not talking about someone on a track that cant corner, but acts like it(or a potential hazard). I mean there is alot of descension among fellow bikers, in regards to "chicken strips", stretched bikes, and straight liners. I am a drag racer. My car (91 Firebird) is setup for dragging, and hopefully someday will be a 10 second car. I dont like the twisties. To unpredictable for me. Im just wondering why everyone talks bad about a guy who can pass you on a straight. If he happens to pass you on the straight that has the finish line, he still wins. And I have never heard of an unwritten rule that says you cant pass a guy on a straight stretch, if he passed you first in a corner. Not trying to start anything, just wondering. I am saving for a bike in the spring, and want to get a big bike. I just dont want a bunch of people hating, because I dont shred the rubber up against the rim. Id rather go to a drag strip.
I have nothing against drag racers, but the thing about track days is that a)anybody can run any bike in your class so you have liter bikes going aginst 600's and b)if a guy passes me in the straight and I have to pass him in the turns its making me change my lines to accomidate him.

·
Registered
67 Posts
any bike can go fast in a straight line, that's a given.... i can throw my 10 year old on my bike & he can twist his wrist.
I agree, a little. A guy on a track day, trying to go straight is dumb. Take a good rider on a slow bike to the drag strip, and he will beat you with an inferior bike. Its not just point and shoot. I prefer a slow cruise, maybe a spirited one at times, but I can almost guarantee Ill never be dragging a knee, at least not on a public road (a wife and 3 kids will keep me from taking that risk). Im all about the strip. Thats just me. And it isnt as easy as everyone thinks. Maybe someday Ill do a track day, but in TN, there arent many tracks. But theres alot of gravel and roadkill in the corners.

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
Ok, i am going to Open my Bigmouth and give you my take on it..
I'm an asswhole, butt a nice one..[:M60]

Ok 1st thing...I started my life as a 15 year old in Florida...with an EX500 and was this is the SHIT, Fast as all hell..mostly straights, stoplight to stoplight racing...and there really werent many street riders back in 1987..same with cars all dragging

So i was all into the straightline...then after a few bigger bikes for straighline, all were bought off the ability to accelerate or top speed...FJ100 then CBR1000..i had done 155mph real speed many a times and was like WOW!!!awesome

Well after being in germany with my Trans Am 1991 i was loving the turns, so when i came back i bought a vfr750 for the sound and handling...i then advanced into a 93 ZX7R,then a ZX9R both were set-up for drag racing and some twisties...just having fun...
BUT i NEVER dropped the bikes or stretched them out, as then you cant do the MULTIPLE TASKS the bike was made for...

Well once i ended up in Hawaii i rode with some locals and then it was all about the turns...havent gone back since
I attend track days ALOT and only really crave the corners..

As what was stated going in a straight line isnt rocket science..
ONce you set-up a bike to drag it isnt going to flip, its just getting that 1.5 or less 60ft and that fast reaction time...
As with an air shifter, its a no brainer to change gears, as i had one on my zx7r, so yeah i know..

Personally i just think making a bike a dedicated stretched out drag machine is a waste, thats my taste as these bikes were ment to roadrace..handling and speed..like buying a Ford GT/ferrari/lambo and using it at the dragstrip..what the hell is the point?

Like adding 22's to a 4x4 truck and dropping it..Bling bling...F'in Tools....thats just a personal thing.

Depending on which track day provider you have they should fix the "I can only go fast straight problem"

I normally will make a face to face if someone is posing an issue on the track with the i cant take turns but i can sure go fast on the straight..i will ask them if they need some help or if the bike is not working with them...Normally they are just scared about the power.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Originally posted by RedFinn
It's also something we mention in almost every riders meeting, at our trackdays. Unfortunately, there's always people that don't want to learn, they just want to maintain an illusion of being fast. Usually people like this ride Busses (Hayabusa) or liter bikes.
...or they buy the "rr" version of a .6 of a litre bike thinking that the extra "r" makes them faster and dream of being able to handle a 1000 on the track.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah i forgot to mention that some of the fast guys at the top overheard and were definetly on my side. I'm not that fast myself..hell, to some of the fast guys I seem like a point and shooter, but I get outta the way when another rider is suddenly on my arss. Then I see if I can keep up, and 9/10 times I can't, which proves the rider came up on my ass for a reason, ie....faster rider. So if you want to get faster...let the faster guy get by and try to follow for awhile....within your limits of course.

·
Registered
622 Posts
i think it all boils down to being a courteous driver/rider.... if you're holding someone up, move over. the same goes for the freeway, if some1 is behind you & the lane to your right is open, move over.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.