Votes: 0 0.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 ZX-6R in the matte blue color. I was thinking of either polishing my rims or waiting for winter months and sending them out to be powdercoated gold to match the calipers and forks.

I'm just not too sure how the polished rims would look with all the gold accents from the calipers and forks.

What are your thought?

·
Registered
188 Posts
well if your rims are made of the metal magnesium go ahead and polish them... just so you can watch how fast they turn into absolute corroded shit.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Sorry not trying to be rude to you, just don't polish them. Magnesium corodes like 20 times faster than aluminum. Once you have bare magnesium there is nothing you can do to protect it from this fast corrosion that takes place. This is why in the aircraft industry all magnesium parts are coated with a special corossion inhibiting chemical then painted.

Be sure to ask your powdercoating company if it is safe to powdercoat magnesium wheels.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Originally posted by cruizin
Sorry not trying to be rude to you, just don't polish them. Magnesium corodes like 20 times faster than aluminum. Once you have bare magnesium there is nothing you can do to protect it from this fast corrosion that takes place. This is why in the aircraft industry all magnesium parts are coated with a special corossion inhibiting chemical then painted.

Be sure to ask your powdercoating company if it is safe to powdercoat magnesium wheels.
Cruizin/
WTF are you smoking? the OEM are Cast, not forge alumi and definetly not Mags.

Rico/
I think i will depend on which direction you are taking the bike, i acutally did both before but had two different look for both my bike, now on my new bike i just went with black paint for my magnesium wheels. Right now with the matt blue and black frame i would go with a flat gold wheel, it would look like my old blue 04 636.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info cuizin. Anyone with polished rims running into this problem?

extreme, I'm not too fond of the rims the way they are now, I think they just look blah. JMO

2K - thanks for postin the pics. I think after seeing that I would have to say that I might do the powder coat. I love the look of the polished rim but if I'm gonna do that I would have to match the calipers and forks to it. I just think the polished wheels would clash with the gold accents.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Your wheels are not Magnesium, your wheels arnt even forged aluminium, they are jsut cast metal with a machine lip, you will have absolutely no problems, just keep it clean like the rest of the bike and you will be fine.

Edit;
the polish will not clash with the gold accents, blow up the black bike picture, you will see i have alot of gold accents on the bike, scotts damper, bar ends, sprocket, chain, bolts, etc... They go pretty well together, just remember dont over do the color theme, pick to major color and then throw a few accents in there just so it does not look to mono.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.