Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am polishing the rear/front wheel lipswhere the first owner did. Although there is little spots on it, I thought it was flash rust but its white and after polishing it is still there , has this happened to anyone?[|)]

1995 red and purple ninja zx6r
1997 camaro v6 3.8
1987 honda nq50! oh ya!

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
probobly pitting in the metal.
I'd take some steel wool, #0 to it, then once the spots disappear go over it with #00 and #0000 steel wool.

After that polish like normal.

Now if they are pitted deeply the steel wool might not get rid of it totally

-=Welcome To Canada=-

2002 Green 6R
1986 Gixxer 7/11

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They dont seem to be pitted much if any at all, thanks a lot, also could someone tell me how to sand down the non polished places on my bike? What # steel wool do you use and how long? thanks a lot!

1997 camaro v6 3.8
1987 honda nq50! oh ya!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Depends on what areas you want to polish. I can save you a lot of aggravation by saying that the fairing stay, bar ends, and levers can not be polished to look good. Haven't gotten over those enough to try the grab handles yet[8D]

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the bikes lipswere already polished [V], I am just going to finish up the swingarm and such, btw I got a steel wool splinter in my thumb damn hahathat hurts,welltake it easy and thanks for the help![|)]

1997 camaro v6 3.8
1987 honda nq50! oh ya!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ugh, it wont come out, anyways a friend of mine can powder coat them any color forrealllllll cheap (like 25 bones +paint ), I thought of doing them in red to match the bike , does anyone know the color of thered on a 95 zx6r/and has anyone done that? does it look smooth?

1997 camaro v6 3.8
1987 honda nq50! oh ya!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Matt,
It sounds like you’re on a Tiger hunt with a BB gun. There are actually two things were getting confused here. There's polishing and then there's buffing. You are trying to buff out blemishes that actually need to be polished first. Polishing simply means removing material, while buffing is just shining up what's there. In your case, polishing is clearly called for. The best way to do this is with greaseless compound and not steel wool. You apply it to an ordinary concentric sewn buffing wheel and let dry, and then go to work. You have probably already discovered that sanding wheels and other sanding devices clog almost immediately with aluminum and can do more harm that good. Greaseless is extremely aggressive and can quickly smooth out the roughcast aluminum and make quick work of your wheels problems too. There is absolutely none to the clogging problems. I suggest giving [www.bright-works.com] a quick look. They’re the best supplier I've found and also have training material as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.