·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
drumannewman has attached this file: bike_plate_014.jpg
drumannewman has attached this file: bike_plate_029.jpg
drumannewman has attached this file: bike_plate_028.jpg
drumannewman has attached this file: bike_plate_027.jpg
polished the rims on my o3 the other day, very easy and totally changed the appearence of the bike heres a b4 pic
drumannewman has attached this file: bike_plate_010.jpg

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
look good. I was going to chrome the rims on my 03 zx6r. don't like the black

·
Registered
298 Posts
hey drumman,
i saw you last week on pacific ave you were talking with my wife whom has the silver 636. i liked the polish job you did oh your rims. how did you do it?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey big ya i remember ya, it was a pretty simple process. i went used the real thick blue 3m masking tape and taped the tire, inner rim, the hub etc. - basically anything i didnt want the paint to eat up. next i lifted the bike up so the wheel would spin freely and i applied quite a generous amount of Klean strip Aircraft paint strpper. waited til it bubbled and scrapped off w/ a plastic spoon, i believe it was from a wendys frosty, those work best. jk.
once i had it clean i used sand paper to fix any spots with paint i used grit: 320-500-1000-1500 to finish it off real smooth, then just used regular mothers metal polish.
it was really an easy process, took maybe 8 hours while i dicked around w/ some buddies. just make sure u take ur time taping thats the hardest part, and ull get a nice straight edge that ur lookin for. and use long rubber gloves the stripper burns like helll! if it touches skin

·
Registered
298 Posts
thats sweet! sounds pretty easy, well as soon as i get my bike back well have to all go riding sometime, i live here in lockeford so im not that far from you! i should be picking her back up from the dealer next weekend, but doc says i cant ride for another 2 months!!:( so as soon as i can though im there!!!!!!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
matty i left the wheels on the bike and used an engine puller " cherry picker" to elevate the bike i just put straps around the triple tree to do the front and around each side of the subframe to do the rear. it made it real easy because it gave me alot of room to to work and i could swing the bike around to get the best angle to work
ya big sounds great i hope u recover fast! what kind of bike do u have, a 636 im guessing? if so thats awesome man you and ur wife both have 6r's thatas cool man. we'll meet up and ride as soon as you can, my brother has a red 03 6r sp if you know any other members of the board w/ em lets do a ride man
so exactly what happened to you and your bike big? glad to hear your recovering and the bikes getting fixed

·
Registered
298 Posts
hey drum, i was heading home(in the country) and they had just started doing the roads out there, well they covered the whole entire road with gravel. so i took the turn as slooooow as possible but no traction and she went down on her left side. ended up breaking my left collar bone. so now i have to wait, my 03 black 636 should be done tomorrow but i cant ride it until about nov. but yeah when i get better we should ride! or just hang out! ever been to lockeford? LOL

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ouch. ya they did that to a few intersections here in town, whats the deal with all the gravel? ya ive been out there, never had my bike out there tho... any good roads to ride out there?
LOL as you prob know stockton isnt a great place to ride ... everywhere is STRAIGHT! no twisties. ya well good luck hope the bike turns out well and hollar when ur ready to ride

·
Registered
298 Posts
hey drum, nah not ouch, damn it hasnt even hurt since day one? HMMM....anyway. there are some good turns on hwy 88 heading up into the hills. alot of bikers go thru here heading that way, matter fact we have gone that way to get to reno before. alot of our friends and i made that run to go to jackson. ill call for ya when we go next time!

·
Registered
239 Posts
good work, i'm thinking about doing mine as well. i am thinking about doing the whole wheel, but not sure.

big, i hope you get your bike back soon. i thought they were supposed to have it done for you already.

·
Registered
298 Posts
hey silver,
yeah i thought so too, they got sent the wrong barings for the frame, so there waiting on those. oh well not like i can ride her anyway yet. its getting frustrating!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
sweet. I just got y blue 03 zx6r and was wondering what the polished rims would look like. I think Im gonna do it now! Im in Sacramento, CA. You're right next door

·
Registered
298 Posts
hey welcome to the board saczx6r! hey you ever make it out here to lodi/lockeford area??? ive seen a blue one around here and thought it was drum but it wasnt. anyway once i get my bike back and can ride again we should all get together.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Big- Na, I havent gone that far yet. Im still getting the hang of riding. Yeah, we should all go cruising sometime. I need to break her in!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.