Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have seen pics all day long with the outer rim polished only.
I have a red 03 636 with solid black wheels which i personally hate the black wheels alot. Is it to hard to do the spokes on the wheel to?
if my rims where painted red like my bike i would just do the outer rim like most people on this site have done. but i have a red bike with solid black wheels, so i think doing just the outer rim would not do it any justice on my bike. I have three different sites on how to do this and im going to , but I want to know why nobody is doing the whole rim. and if they are please post a pic and let me know if it was alot harder or just impossible to do. thank you for you guys inpuit

·
Registered
159 Posts
hey bro did mine with the black in middle the reson the middle wasnt done for some reson the middle wont come off the paint, its a bitch to get off.im polishing my whole rim so when im done ill post some pics should look real nice to gonna beed blast them that should do it
anyway ill post pics.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
the spokes and middle are damn hard to polish, its not smooth metal like the lips, its quite rough.

A buddy did it to old gixxer750/1100, but the rims were from a 93.
heres some pics but I dont think there are any directions...
http://rimmer711.gixxer.com/
(Why he welded a f4i tail onto an old gixxer I dunno (the gixxer used to be mine)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ok here's the thing the reason no one does the middle is because it is a pain because the center and spokes are powder coated. However it is possible. Heres your options 1. You can take them to a podwer coating place have them bead blast it then powder coat the entire wheel any color for about $110. However you have to remove then probably replace the bearings and then pay to have the tires taken off then put back on and balanced. Said and done it'll cost 200-240. 2. (this is what I'm doing) you can use a paint remover for the outer lips if you want but it's a little messy and will take a couple of hours then you can sand the inner part starting with like a 60 grit to get of the podwer coat then work your way up to a 1000 grit or so then move on to the polishes. I dont suggest doing it by hand. I'm using a air sander. I'm not finished with mine yet but I will be done by this sat. at the latest. As is now I could leave it and it would look really good but I pay alot of attention to detail. If you hold off for a few more days I'll post some pics and you can decide. Pros and cons? By powder coating it'll be almost maintnence free. But if you polish it out yourself you have to clean it on a regular basis. You could always polish it and if you get tired of cleaning it all the time then you can do a clear powder coat which might take away a little shine but it would be easier to take care of. Let me know if you want some pics?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Here are some pics of my bike with the whole rim polished. Sorry for the quality, but it is raining today and I could not push the bike out from under the carport. I did not do it myself, I sent it to a polishing shop so I do not know how much effort it took them. The price I paid did not suggest it being to much trouble as i paid about double than I would have paid to have just the lips done. I think this really transformed the bike!!! Hope this helps you make up your mind on doing your bike. If you need more pics email me off the list and I will take some more pics once the sun is out!

Regs
DEON CILLIERS
Cape Town, South Africa

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.