Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started polishing my wheels. I'm leaving them on the bike while doing this. Has anyone else done this? If so my question is how do you get to the paint where the tire meets the rim? its a tuff spot to get to. Currently I am using scotch brite pads and putting the bike in gear and letting the bike do the rest the results are great. Any help from my fellow 6R's would be appriciated.

Joe 2001 ZX6R Yellow

·
Registered
266 Posts
I used aircraft stripper wich will run you about 25 bucks. but since i work for Sherwin williams i only paid 15. just aply for about a minute and you will see the paint come up, user a plastic scraper and some very fine steel wool the hardest thing is doing the edges thats because im very impatient. make sure u tape your tires because that chemichal is very strong

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm gonna try that thanks. I was using just a scotch brite pad and it was taking forever. I was going to try just a paint remover from home depot but I didnt know if it would mess up the tires.

·
Registered
53 Posts
any stripper made for taking paint off of aluminum will work great. I used some stripper that I found at kragen auto parts... it says it is designed for removing paint from aluminum aircraft. I paid $8 - it only took one coat and five minutes to lift off all the paint. I didn't tape the tires, and noticed no ill effects on the tires (they just got very clean)

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Different wheels colours are also different difficulty levels..

My buddy has a yellow 02, and his wheels are black. We used aircraft stripper, and it took all of 30 seconds before it flaked off, no scrubbing needed.

On my green 02, with green wheels, It had to sit much longer and I had to work hard with the steel wool.
I don't think the black has a primer, which is why it was so easy.

These are now mine look now..

-=Welcome To Canada=-
2002 Green 6R
1986 Gixxer 7/11

·
Registered
223 Posts
I polished my black wheels on my 95 and it took quite a while. Might have been the average paint stripper I used, but many coats and scrubbing with steel wool were necessary(scotch pads didn't work well at all). The very edge was the hardest to get, but worth it. I washed my sidewalls with soapy water afterwards out of paranoia.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.