Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without a centerstand on the 2008, servicing like draining oil, checking oil /coolant level, headlight adjustment etc are difficult unless you have a helper. Here's what I've been doing to assist basic solo servicing:
Two 2X4's placed under the sidestand makes the bike level. However it's precarious and could easily fall to the right. So I attach an adjustable strap to the the left side of the bike and secure it to anything that will keep the bike from falling over. Cheap and effective until I buy an axel stand. Hope this might help some new owners.
Cheers, Bill

·
Registered
349 Posts
You can put the kickstand out and lean the right side bike against the wall with a thick rag between the bar end and the wall. The bike won't be perfectly centered up but close enough. I was able to change my oil without using my centerstand; just takes a little bit of muscle.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My apartment doesn't allow motorcycles or auto maintenance on the premises and I don't have a garage. Don't think the surrounding private businesses will like it if I use their wall. So I'm stuck to doing it on the side of the street. Besides calling friends to drive over, how should I go about doing this?

·
I ♥ Cute Cats!
22,797 Posts
What I've been doing (and it works pretty well albeit not the safest thing in all the land) involves using jack stands on my rear spools. If you put a jack stand under the 'passenger side' spool

and then lean the bike over onto it you can then slide the other jack stand under the drivers side spool. Lower the bike onto that jack stand and with a little shimmying and it's kosher.

That's how I change my oil, lube my chain, etc. I've yanked the bike around and it's pretty sturdy (alot sturdier than leaning it against something). That and take note that with both jack stands on their lowest setting the rear tire sits about 1" off of the ground and there is plenty of room to still get to the sprocket, tire, chain, etc.

·
Registered
73 Posts
^Swingarm spools are an aftermarket thing, right? Don't mean to be difficult, but what if I don't have those either? I'm on a waiting list for a crash kit which will be coming in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
267 Posts
^Swingarm spools are an aftermarket thing, right?
Ya.

You could always go to home depot and get a pair of grade 8 10mm bolts (medium thread I believe) for about $2.50 and use those as well. I just screw them in when I need them, and then take them out when Im finished.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts