Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i did a search and couldn't really find any real solution for this.

When I accelerate real hard then let go of the throttle, my exhaust would give off LOUD pops, if i gradually accelerate, it would just gurgle as i de-cellerate.

does this mean my carbs are running to rich? and it's excess gas not burning?

oh, i have a yosh slip on with no jet kit, if that counts any

·
Registered
107 Posts
I wouldn't stress too much, I think it is because of your pipe, but not to alarm you too much you could be burning valves.
Next time you are going passed a bike shop stop in and ask about it. Get a few opinions.

Corbywan

2000 ZX-6R Green

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by corbywan

I wouldn't stress too much, I think it is because of your pipe, but not to alarm you too much you could be burning valves.
Next time you are going passed a bike shop stop in and ask about it. Get a few opinions.

Corbywan

2000 ZX-6R Green
wow, burning valves? how so? what would cause this? i just did a valve adjustment myself this weekend, so maybe it's a possibility. All my vavles are within spec now, as before, they were all way to tight. But the popping also was happening before i did the valves, so i hope it's not it.

·
Registered
418 Posts
All tuned bikes do this on the over-run, Its because of the overlap in cam timing, and loads of fuel being forced into the engine under full throttle, some passes through unburnt. Watch a bike on a dyno and you will see it as its wound down from the redline, they will all flame out 6" :D from the tailpipe. Nothing to worry about and you are less likely to see it with the standard can as they have spark arresting properties built in.

Ash

Live to ride, Erm Erm, Where are my Car Keys ?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my bike after installing a new Yosh can. My bike is actually back firing. Not sure if that's the same as your "loud pops."

I took it to a mechanic just today and he said its from the carbs. He said a re-jetting would take care it.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
One cause (and probably the most common) of popping on deceleration is a leaking gasket where the can attaches to the header pipe. You need to replace this gasket when you replace the can and the damned things are expensive ($10 from ronayers.com). You can try some high temp sealer like Permatex ATV but the new gasket is the "right" way to do it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have a full D&D exhaust and since i installed it I started to hear loud pop's, and some really cool sounding crackling when deaccelerating. Isn't that part of the reason why we paid for after market exhaust?
As for the flames ash speaks of when a bike is on a dyno, my brother has an R1 and he got 3 Feet of flames when his bike was on the dyno. Apparently it was a new record at that shop.[8D]

1998 ZX-6R, Full D&D, -1 in the front.

·
Registered
45 Posts
my Hindle bolt on does the same thing. It will gurgle a little bit compression braking after being given gas. It will pop loud(backfire) when it has been given WOT and then allowed to compression brake. It also doesn't hold revs smoothly when you keep it under 5k

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.