Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I've noticed my bike seems to pop out of first gear under heavy acceleration (WOT mostly). It seems to just go into neutral at around 11-13k and I can hear the revs fly up really quickly but the bike stops accelerating. This makes power wheelies more or less impossible.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this and how it can be fixed?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Im having the same problem but in 4th and 5th gear @ about 11-13k rpm. At lower rpms its fine. Should I be thinking about future tranny work??

·
Banned
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dont think its the rev limiter. I know what that sounds like and the other day I consciously experimented with it and found that if I clutch as soon as it happens I am indeed in neutral.

Also, it happens if I accelerate even modestly fast over rough terrain (ie across an intersection).

·
Registered
164 Posts
It does sound like a worn gear or I suppose it is possible that the detend is screwed up and not allowing you to fully engage first. Either way its pretty likely that somebody needs to take a look inside.........

·
Banned
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You mean yours slips into netural from second? I've heard thats a common issue with the 99-02 R6s and is indeed a bent shift fork. But is it possible a bent shift fork can cause it to slip from first to neutral?

·
Registered
71 Posts
what carrot said. and penguin, it's not worthless. a worn gear is one hell of an issue, which is why he said goodluck. 2nd gear pops are most common, and are sometimes integrated with 6th gear, so replacing both costs about $350, nevermind the whole installation, which is a pain in the ass because you have to take the whole engine apart. as for first gear, i don't know what (if at all) it's integrated with, but you can bet getting another one is gonna cost some money. sorry to give you bad news penguin.

·
Banned
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is it unusual for a gear to be "worn" with 11k miles on the bike? Does this indicate the bike has been raced or ridden hard in some other way?

·
Registered
71 Posts
sometimes gears only need to be worn a little in order to have the effect. they might look like they haven't been worn at all. i don't know if hard riding would cause it more than regular riding, but i would assume so. my suggestion: don't power wheelie anymore, learn to pop the clutch. or get a new engine. would cost as much as replacing the gear :-(

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
im going to have to agree w/ the bent shift fork. There has been a few topics on this, and the bent shift fork seemed to be the cause

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.