Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm looking for a positioning dolly so that I can more easily park my Ninja 250 behind a parking block. Right now, I can only do it if there's nobody parked in my spot or either of the neighboring spots. So, ideally, it needs to just fit under the wheels, with nothing in the middle to hit the parking block. Ideally, it needs to be something that I can easily slide the bike on and off after moving it behind the block.

Most of the ones I'm seeing don't have the clearance I need in the middle of the bike and are overengineered for such a small motorcycle.

Budget wise, I think $200 or less should be doable. I'm mainly doing this to avoid having to pay $600 to the HOA in order to rent a second parking space for my wife's car.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07142PY9Z/?tag=100568-20

You basically put the rear when on the bigger end and the kickstand on the smaller end, then you can roll the bike on the front wheel and swing the back of the bike around any way you like.

Here is the same style dolly from another company, and it looks like it's less expensive as well: Amazon.com: Venom Motorcycle Mover Dolly Cruiser Side Stand for Triumph Speedmaster Triple Thunderbird: Automotive
I saw those, the problem is that they're likely too big to fit through the available space between parking blocks. They're primarily designed for when you can free up enough space to move a bike on a temporary basis, rather than for when you're just needing to avoid an immovable object, that's only a few inches tall.

I'm leaning more towards something this, like 1250 lb. Capacity Vehicle Positioning Wheel Dolly that I can put under the bike long enough to get it into place, then remove after I'm done.

That being said, perhaps next time I try to put the bike behind the block, I'll leave the kickstand down and see if it clears the block.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wound up buying the Harbor Freight Dolly. It seems to work OK, but I think I'm going to mod it a bit so that the bike stands straight up as the dolly has a tendency to slide out from under it. There is only a couple inches of lift to it, so, when stationary, the kickstand is still able to support the bike.

The main issue I've had so far, is that the mechanism tends to stick when lowering. Raising is fine, but the lowering ratchet doesn't necessarily disengage when it should. This is a better problem than if it isn't engaging, but still not ideal.

I'm thinking that welding on tie down anchor points to the sides of the dolly, should make it a ton more stable. Or, possibly something that could attach to the swing arm spools when it's lifted up those couple inches. Time will tell if this is a big enough issue to warrant it. It may be easier, to just fashion something for the kickstand to rest and roll on while in motion. A cheap scale should indicate how much weight the kickstand needs to be able to support to keep things stable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts