Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having problems finding neutral on my bike when at a standstill. I have. More often than not, when i shift all the way down to 1st and then one tap up, the neutral indicator light doesn't come on, but I can let the clutch out and the bike seems to be in neutral, only the tranny is making a rattling sound (not extremely loud but audible nonetheless). I am concerned that it will suddenly catch onto a gear, thus stalling the bike and really pissing me off. It does this 8/10 times and I have tried gently tapping it up, giving it a decent push up and even slowly trying to work it into neutral. This is a 2002 636 with only 1600kms on it. isn't the Positive Neutral Finder meant to guarantee that this kind of thing doesn't happen? Should i get it checked out?? Any advice much appreciated...

"Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead."
-Scottish Proverb

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Sounds like you're finding a "false" neutral... can happen...

Positive neutral finder is SUPPOSED to mean if you're at a standstill and throw it from second down to neutral or first up to neutral, it is easier to find... but I've heard a lot of people complaining it's hard to do on the '03... I'd make sure you see the light come on, and with time you'll find you'll have an easier go finding neutral.

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

·
Registered
89 Posts
try rolling the bike forward a couple inches, then shift up. you should be able to make a full shift and still not get second.

it does the trick for me, btw if the bike still under warrenty go get it checked out on kawi coin.

"Winning is not a sometime thing: it's an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while; you don't do the right thing once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing." - Vincent Thomas Lombardi

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yeah, what jerky said... I occasionally had that problem on my '01 6r, but just about every time after rolling the bike forward/backward a few inches or a foot and then trying again would fix it and it would then snick smoothly into neutral and light the indicator. Also, like CDN said, I noticed this more when the engine was cold -- never really had a problem after things were warmed up a bit.

'03 blue zx-6r
pics & projects:
www.harbordive.com/josh/zx6r.htm ('03 pics coming soon)

·
Registered
316 Posts
As for my 03, it has worked perfectly every time. You just have to make sure you are almost completely still. I do it all the time at stoplights, just because it is so much easier to me to sit there for 30 seconds without having to hold in the clutch. Don't know about the 02's though. The only thing, is that once I am in neutral, sometimes I have to move the bike a few inches for the bike to catch first gear again, but that is no biggie. Most of the time not though. Well, good luck and let us know what happens. I would take it to the shop personally if I wasn't seeing the light come on every last time. Sounds like there may be some short for a reason, and maybe it is that the clutch needs a small adjustment, either way, it should be under warranty. Or, someone should give you a bit of free advice.

-Cops want a hot pursuit, so entertain them! -Shadee

·
Registered
56 Posts
My `01 does it fairly often. It even goes into nuetral but no light on the dash.. But when the stand is put down it stall's. It does it on my mates `01 zx6r aswell.

My bike mechanic (kawasaki dealer) said they just do it and I will have to live with it.

Gareth

·
Registered
56 Posts
I reliase there is built in saftey features. What I was getting at is... Not even my bike shop can fix it. Its just a problem that you have to live with (the light not coming on)

Gareth

·
Registered
271 Posts
I realize this is an old thread, but the problem is new to me. I didn't used to have this problem when I got the bike second-hand at 6500 kilometers. Now at 10,500, I'm finding it more difficult to find neutral.

Of course rolling it back and forth helps, but I guess my point is that this wasn't present before, so it must be something that can be fixed? Or am I being too idealistic?

I guess I'm asking the question because the thread wasn't conclusive as to whether it's just something we have to live with, or if it's remediable.

Thanks in advance for replies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.