Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well ive had this rattling noise in my engine since ive gotten my bike....it only happens when the engine is up to normal op temp... it sounds to me like the cam chain tensioner or something of that sort. ive recently changed the oil and went with mobile syn. the noise went away for about 100 miles or so and now its back. wondering if i could have a problem here or is that just my 6r?

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Kawasaki's, especially ZX-6R's have noisy engines anyway, but if the sound is coming from the right hand side of the engine it could be the cam chain. The chains also make some noise for probably a couple of weeks or so while the chain is loose but not loose enough to let the tensioner click over the next ratchet tooth. How many miles has your bike done? I don't know about the '98-'99 models but the '95-'97 cam chains can last a LONG time, like over 100,000 miles. As far as I know, cam chains and tensioners have never been a weak point of Kawasaki's.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks i cant really pinpoint the location other than the engine cause it usually does it about 6k on the tach....the bike itself has 15k miles on it. i can free rev the engine and it doesnt do it....only when under a load.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Only at about 6,000 rev's? I've only ever noticed cam chain noise at idle, anything over that, the noise of the rest of the engine drowns out any chain noise. I guess you could still hear it if it was really bad.
I'd guess that it's probably just normal ZX-6R noise though. My bike makes different noises when it's cold compared to when it's hot and some of them are pretty weird (throughout the temperature range) but they're all normal, or seem to be.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
my engine makes some ticking at idle....thought it was my valves, but it could be my CCT. hope not...I have a 2002 model which I thought had the CCT issues fixed...

could I check my CCT why I do my valve check? I have 8000 miles on my engine. What should I look for when checking the CCT?

ohh well...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmmmn my engine ticks to at idle but i pay it no mind being that its not all that loud...normal or not come december either imma try n find another engine on ebay or have this one rebuilt....then maybe i can pinpoint where the noise is coming from and if its normal or not.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I don't know what to look for as far as cam chains or tensioners go, because I've never had to do it. Actually, with the tensioner, you could just look at how far through its adjustment range it is, if it's near the end, change it and the chain. Apart from that I have no idea.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am new to this site and saw your inquiry, I had the same problem with my 99 zx6r. The engine made a noise that was just like loose cam chain. The person I got the bike from attended an sanctioned race licensing event and while their had some mechanics and other kawa owners look at the bike to get there opinion. He was told it wasn't very common but sometimes the tensioner fails. I finally caught up with a mechaic from a dealership in the bay area who claimed he had 4 zx6r's from 98-99 years come in over a span of about 2 years with that exact problem and the cam chain tensioner was failing. All i know is that when i changed mine out the problem went away. Hope this helps if you want antmore insight email me also i have had the same problem in my kawa mojave 250 engine, cam chain tensioner was bad!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I think all zx6r's from 98-99 had a tencioner problem, just get an 01 and you'll be set.I put a manual one on my bike and noise went away

·
Registered
4 Posts
I removed my tensioner during a valve job - it was completly stuck in place and that little spring that hold the ratchet locker wasnt seated right...

·
Registered
96 Posts
I need to replace my CCT. I can hear the noise at idle. It sounds like the chain. Is this a hard fix? What is involved? I am very picky and I do not like abnormal noises. They make me paranoid.

·
Registered
246 Posts
October 2003 issue of Motorcyclist magazine states
Sore Spots:"Problematic cam-chain tensioner can go south on high-mileae bikes;ignore telltale rattle and bent valves follw. Hard riding mauls steering-head bearings. Fragile wheel paint peels without meticulous care..."yadayadayada.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.