Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm such an idiot; last night i forgot to take my disc lock off and i started to pull away and.......kinda stopped in a hurry and the front forks just started shudddering. shit i'm really pissed off at myself[}:)]:(
anyway i checked the front end over and it looks okay, but i don't know if there's anything wrong with the inside of the forks or disc brake calipers( i think that what the lock hit). what possible damage could there be that wouldn't show?
oh yeah i rode my bike back home and it felt okay. i think the brakes are a bit spongy now but that might be my imagination.
i'm reallly getting a disc lock reminder cable now. [V]

·
Registered
178 Posts
I doubt you did any damage that isn't externally visible. The shuddering was probably the front tire skidding. Lucky you didn't drop it which is common when that happens.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
....and it gets worse....i just crashed my bike last night.[B)].
i lowsided into a onramp barrier. i was lent over as far as i could go and i could feel the tires giving out so i straightened up a bit but that messed up my line, then i braked and the bike really straightened up. i was heading toward the barrier. then i locked up the front and the bike went down and we slid into the barrier.

[V] now my forks are bent back against the fairing, though i'm not sure if it's the forks that are bent or if its the mount the forks are set on. anyone else have this problem before? thanx

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Sorry to hear about the crash Vance, but I am glad to hear that you are ok. I hope you can get the bike repaired cheap and then maybe we can go for that ride.

Also where did this happen?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i wiped on the off ramp on highway 14 i think. my dad and i checked the bike out and we think it might be either the frame, triple clamps, or the actual forks. oh well ebay might have some stuff for cheap. i e-mail you when my bike is fixed Shane

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
how are your plastics? did you have frame sliders?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nope, my plastic is pretty much trashed. i think after i fix the forks i'll get some sliders and a cell phone. good thing someone stopped and lent me theirs

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
forget "possible" damage, the whole thing is fkd.[}:)] i took it to a shop and they said the frames is bent and so are the forks. so now i gotta drop a ton of cash to get her fixed and i might not get much more riding in this year:(. and i only got $600...
the guy that checked it over said it was a write-off in his opinion cause it'll cost me too much to fix...yeah only if you do it buddy[}:)]. i'll show you write-off when i get it back up and running
n e way thats the situation, thanx for letting me vent a bit

·
Registered
303 Posts
i would have someone else or another shop look at it and confirm the damage cuz a lot of those dealers just want to get money from you.. definately have it checked somewhere else

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i got my bike checked at cycle works, it's just that he made it sound worse than it was. i believed the guy when he said the forks and frame are bent, it was just his attitude made it sound like my bike was junk.

anyway i stopped at echo today and picked up a turn signal for two bucks, and i've got most of the big parts off the bike so now i just need a frame. that costs about $1200 cdn so it's not too bad.
for my plastic there's a guy that makes race fairings for pretty cheap so i might get those and just cut a hole for where the headlight goes.
all in all it's shaping up kinda quickly (yay:D)

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
could anyone give me some direction on taking off the front wheel? the axle is giving me some probs and i'm not sure if there is a certain way to take it off or if its just really tight. thanx

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
What's up Spartan. Sorry to hear about your bike dude. That sucks big time. As far as taking the front wheel off, I also have a '96 F model, and have taken the front wheel off several times. First of all, make sure that there is no weight on the wheel, use a bike jack or front stand. The axle threads into itself, meaning that one end is about three inches long, and is threaded, and the other end is the really long part that goes through the wheel. When you get it loose from itself, just pull on it, and it should slide out fairly easily, unless it is bent pretty badly. Good luck getting her back on the road.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks guys, it worked well, wheel came off no problem.
heh, i took the forks off and turns out only one is bent and not by that much either. just shows you not to believe everything you hear from someone.
do you guys think that a back brake lever and the back brake bracket/stay from a '98 model would fit my bike? kawasaki might not have changed it that much(?)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.