Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, First post, long time lurker.

I know, you guys get many questions like this on a daily basis, so, heres one more to add to the pile:

I have been looking at bikes for about 6-8 months now, and I am not sure if I am even ready for one yet (Wow, can't believe I am saying that I myself believe that I'm not ready yet, anyways) What I have settled on, is a Kawasaki for sure, and I am quite sure I want a ZX-6R. If I do get a ZX-6R I am probly going to look at something from a 2000 to 2002.

I want something that will be a good bike for a first timer, but also, that I will not feel bored of within a season or two of riding.

The bike will be a daily driver (weather permitting) through the riding season, and I'll be walking the rest of the time (not to bad in a town that is 1 mile square).

I am only 16, and my parents are hell bent on how dangerous bikes are, hell, im not even going to argue with that, so I guess that will be my first part I'm going to have to do a little convincing on.

What I guess I am asking is, will this bike be a wise choice for me? and, Do you guys think that I should even bother yet if I don't have the self confidence (I am sure it would change once I got a bike, but you never know)?

P.S. Is there a website I can check out the available MSF (I think thats what they are right?) courses available in Alberta? Or, where are the MSF courses available in Alberta (I live 3 hours South east of Edmonton, and one hour south of Lloydminister.)

·
Registered
115 Posts
take some advise, start small and cheap...

get a 250 (unfaired if you can) because of the Drop or accident factor, start off on a full blown 600 sports and you'll regret it.

Your only young, so there's plenty of time to upgrade to a bigger bike later.

A zx6r is a good choice.... after you've accumulated some ride time.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
i agree, start small and cheap. get a honda rebel 250. you can pick them up used for under $2000. you might also want to look at an old dual sport bike, they are basically dirt bikes with street lighting, you can probably ride one year round in canada no problem. its going to take a lot of convincing for your parents to let a 16 year old kid buy a motorcycle, so i hate to say it, maybe you should start on a moped and prove that you can handle 2 wheels.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
well coming from someone who started on a 600 when i was 16 i say go with a 250. I started riding street on my stepdads yzf600r but prior i had 6 yrs of dirt. i rode it around for a few months and he sold it so i took my moms 250 and let me tell you i learned a lot on the 250 then i did on the 600 and later on when my mom noticed i obviously outgrown it when i was 17 she got me my 02 zx6r which i have had for about a yr now i love it yes but i highly doubt it would have tought me about street riding then what i had learned on my 250 just my opinion good luck and keep it safe

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright, thanks for the imput. I have been wondering, and I think it's the right choice, go with a 250 (Like I say, im a beginner, only ridden dirtbike but a couple times). And even if I do drop it, the inital value of the bike wont bring a tear to my eye if I cant sell it for a decent price.

·
Registered
939 Posts
i started on a 250 and yes its small but it will still run low 14's in the quarter mile which is alot faster that most sport compact cars. so you will still have plenty of power. also you sit more upright which will alow you to make more mistakes without going down and make every day riding much easier. plus a ninja 250 used isn't going to cost more than 2000 and the resale will be close to that. so you won't be out much money. where as if you bought a 600, it can drop 3 grand with one time dropping it. the second day i had my 250 i dropped it while trying to put it on the rear stand luckly it wasnt a 6 becuase that small mistake could of cost me greatly. and when i sold my 250 i got what i payed for it. so its a no brainer go with the 250. plus 65 miles per gallon

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow, that was kinda a silly response. Anyways, yeah, I think im settled on a 250 now, good point to convince my parents, and it is true, there is no way I could get 65 MPG outta my car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.