Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone had issues with the marks on the swingarm that are used to line up the axle, being off at all? if so, how much as it off ( ie 1/2 line, etc...)

any info would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
No Problems with mine. Put my tire back on with new rubber a couple thousand miles ago and no wear on the sprockets.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
not sure how you'd be able to actually measure that. Would you take a fixed point on the bike and measure from it both distances?

I haven't a clue.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Yep, I noticed (on my '95 ZX-6R) that they are not entirely accurate. I don't know about the '05 636 ('cause I haven't adjusted the chain yet, despite having done over 20,000 miles on it... [:I]), but I assume it will be similarly inaccurate.

Most bikes have this problem. Sometimes it's really obvious, sometimes it's not so obvious.

Edite: From memory, the marks on my '95 ZX-6R were off by about 1/4 of the distance between lines. Not a lot, but enough to upset the handling if I used them exclusively.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Mine are off by approx 1/8th". I measure from the center of the swingarm pivot to center of the axle. Just takes an extra couple of secs.

·
Registered
295 Posts
+1 for royfan. That is most definitely the most accurate and correct way to do it. Those marks have a tendency to be off a little sometimes.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Those marks are almost always off. To align a bike I use tiedowns from the ceiling to the bike to make it stand up straight without a stand. Then I rubberband 8 ft fluorescent light bulbs, that I fished out a dumpster, to each side of the tires. This makes sort of a tire sandwich. With these two bulbs as straight edges you can really see how the wheels are not aligned.
You must make sure that the front wheels is straight, then it is easy to see how the rear wheel must be moved in order to align it with the front wheel.

·
Resident Brit™
1,157 Posts
Mine are off by nearly half a mark but i measure from the part of the swingarm where the adjuster nut bolts into to the centre of the spindle and it lines up fine.

Russ

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.