Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't do alot of wheelies, and when I do it's only sit-down power wheelies in 1st...

When I ride a power wheelie out in 1st, then I get off the throttle/clutch and shift into second... As the front end comes down and I get back on the gas into 2nd, I notice a bit of headshake. This isn't really too cool if ya know what I mean.

Is there something I'm doing wrong, or do I just need to invest in a steering damper?

I also notice earlier when I got off the throttle for a sec in 2nd gear and then chopped back into the throttle that I got some headshake. The bike didn't wheelie cuz I guess I didn't have the balls to chop it at really hi rpms. I'm trying to get comfortable with the thought of wheelies.

Should I concentrate my weight more towards the rear of the bike and try to consciously keep my weight on the foot pegs rather than the handlebars? I mean, will this solve the headshake? I only assume my natural reaction to the wheelie is to lean into it cuz I'm a bit scared. lol.

Thanks[^]

·
Registered
277 Posts
KEEP WIEGHT OFF THE BARS!!! More than likely your trying to pull up on the bars and this gets them crooked. relax your arms and support yourself with your back and stomach (abs in some cases) muscles. Shouldn't need to shift your wieght anywhere. I'm 240 #'s and have a RR (600) and have no problem bringing it up easy. I also don't run a dampner. The only time i've had a headshake problem is when I space off and bring it down too hard or with wieght on the bars.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I did notice on our bikes that they tend to get seriouse headshake when there is little weight on the front wheel i.e. right b4 or when shifting a wheelie and the front tire is just about off the ground. When you power it in first and shift to second try to not let the front hit the ground because that is whats causing it. Keep your weight back as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.