Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Kawasakis are just cold natured. The loss of power is puzzling. Sounds like a fuel problem of some sort although one plug fouling out will cause a similar feeling. The best thing you can do for a bike that has set for awhile is to ride it. I probably wouldn't hurt to put some fuel additive in the tank to clean the carbs a little.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Right, I was going to try and additive... Is there one you'd recommend?

I was also going to check the plugs.

Honestly it's probably time for a tune-up, but I gotta wait for a couple paychecks for that. How much should I expect to pay for a tune-up?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are strapped for cash you out to do it yourself. I would buy a factory service manual from ronayers.com for $30-$40. If you have the owners tool kit you have just about all the tool you need to work on you bike except for a torque wrench. You can borrow one of those from Autozone. You can get plugs at the dealer for about $8 per each or about half that on the internet. Check around to see if any of the guys with sportbikes have a mercury stick or something similiar and you can sync your carbs. That is about all there is to a tune-up unless they check valves.

If you are concerned about just the carbs you can use just about any of the additives that claim to clean the fuel system. There is another additive that removes the carbon build up in the cylinder head and behind the intake valves that is called BG 44K. It costs about $20 per can and you use about half a can in a bike. I won't swear that it works but the guys that drive cars that have carbon and coking proplems swear by it. I noticed some carbon build up behind the intakes on my '95. I used half a can and it seem to run a little better but I haven't had the carbs back off to actually take a look.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just bought my 98 '6R, and the fellow said that'd he'd let is sit all winter. He had not winterized it as far as I'm aware. The bike seems to run fine EXCEPT the following (fairly major if you ask me!):

On cold starts I have to keep the choke on a long time or else it stalls at the first couple traffic lights. Warm starts don't seem to have this prob.

Also, and more major, I was ripping along the highway last night, then again this morning, and at about 120 km/h (75 mph) I lost all power. Then it came back on again. It didn't stall, I mean the engine didn't die, I just had NO power.

Does this sound carb related?

Thanks for any help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.