Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i was thinking of getting a lime green 250r and powdercoating the rims same lime green color, i heard painting it chips off later anyways. I want it to be like the zx-6r how the rims have matching body color. i was wondering if anyone has done it before and how it turned out, and if there are any recommended places, i'm located in georgia by the way. please post pics. :)

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
is powder coating rims something that can only be done to 250's?
did you use the forum search tool to find info about powder coating?

me thinks the answer to both questions is no

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
is powder coating rims something that can only be done to 250's?
did you use the forum search tool to find info about powder coating?

me thinks the answer to both questions is no

it's like you carry a pager that goes off when a post of such nature is posted.......:Laughing rolling:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Universal Coatings in Flint, MI does amazing work and are pretty cheap. I had them powdercoat my Harley frame and extas and also my 05' CBR600RR's swingarm, side covers, front and rear sets/pegs, gas cap, shift and brake linkages, levers etc and it only ran me about $200.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
that is a good deal.

·
Registered
493 Posts
here is a picture of the Honda parts I had done, went from stock to black satin wrinkle.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Did you have to prep (clean the grease, strip the clear coat and such) the items or did the company do it?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Can you powder coat fork tubes?
I'm sure you can (outer tubes) but be careful. When you powder coat, it make things a little bigger/thicker. You may have a tough time getting them back in the clamps (inverted forks). If you are looking for that black color on the chrome/inner tube, then DLC is what you are looking for.

·
Registered
10 Posts
"georgia powder coater" in gainsville is a great place in ga. i work at a aluminum fab shop in newnan and we drive to them (about an hour and a half away) because they are the best around. We haven't found any others that compare. you don't have to clean it they do i couldn't tell you a price but call them. i see rims in there all the time plus they have a contract with harley for one of their style handle bars.

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
I'm sure you can (outer tubes) but be careful. When you powder coat, it make things a little bigger/thicker. You may have a tough time getting them back in the clamps (inverted forks). If you are looking for that black color on the chrome/inner tube, then DLC is what you are looking for.

My concern is about the heat of the process changing the very narrow tolerances for the inner tube (ie - seals won't fit any longer).

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you have inverted forks, the brackets the axle goes in are taken off. Then the tubes are treated with the DLC, check for tolerance, polished to the correct size and the brackets are re-installed. If you have conventional forks, you can delete the bracket part. There are other coatings you can use but DLC last the longest and is the smoothest. Most of your factor racers have this.

Reactions: Slob
1 - 15 of 15 Posts