Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
If you are asking universal, then the short answer is no. But, I know of people who take pc's and splice their wiring into the bikes original harness to make it work

·
Registered
2002 ZX6R
26,947 Posts
To change your air fuel ratio(which is basically what a power commander will do) you need to rejet your carbs.
(I know a PC does more than that with 3d fuel maps and such, but for our bikes short of somehow flashing the ecu module there is no way to put in custom fuel maps)

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
i have been trying to find one for my bike but i cant seem to find one for my year of the zx6r 95
ROFL

To change your air fuel ratio(which is basically what a power commander will do) you need to rejet your carbs.
(I know a PC does more than that with 3d fuel maps and such, but for our bikes short of somehow flashing the ecu module there is no way to put in custom fuel maps)
ROFLMAO

If you find a way to flash a custom FUEL map into a carburetted bike's IGNITOR UNIT you stand to make a lot of moneyz.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dude let me tell you something not all of us can be a fucking genius like you some of us are squids and dont know anything about bikes (ie. me) i know small amounts about bikes but i dont know anything about going aftermarket. and that is y i am here to learn not to be treated like shit by masterminds like you so please do me a favor and limit your self from my threads unless your going to contribute something worth reading..

thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
dude let me tell you something not all of us can be a fucking genius like you some of us are squids and dont know anything about bikes (ie. me) i know small amounts about bikes but i dont know anything about going aftermarket. and that is y i am here to learn not to be treated like shit by masterminds like you so please do me a favor and limit your self from my threads unless your going to contribute something worth reading..

thanks
Calm down, Dude. I, and I'm sure a few others, chuckled when I/we read it too. If you'd asked the same question @ the stealership they probably woulda chuckled too. We've all done something similiar. It's part of learning. I'd bet the harder someone laughed, the more knowledge they have, in this case.... don't burn your bridges.
I assume you're looking to change your A/F to compensate for a different exhaust? You want a jet kit. There are lots of choices. You might want to call a local tuner and talk to them
Just my two pennies.

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
lol..

short answer, no. power commanders are not universal persay. a kawi specific unit is made to plug into a kawi, a gixxer unit, specific to gixxer harnesses.. ect.

some bikes also have other inputs that another may not have as far as different sensors and switches..

BUT, A. yes, electricall savvy cats knowing the pinouts and voltages cAN make a PC work for another bike..

B. they'r made for EFI bikes. us carburated guys are screwed. the PCIII is solely for fuel mapping. the PCIIIr is fuel AND ignition timing.

carbs are easily tweaked with a little time and knowledge, and in many cases, some ppl feel theres better power and response out of a carbed setup. like Tough-Guy, running a turbo.. big, nasty power, but still carburated.. i do believe theres EFI conversion kits for his bike and others, but they're a little pricey. EFI can be adapted in some cases, but also, you'll have to be a genius. I'm going to adapt a 10-R ecu and running gear for my turbo setup on my 7-R, but as well, i'm a genius..lol (and a machinist, fabricator andelectrical engineer.. i can pull it off :) )

but ya.. hopefully thats an answer that'll open a door for ya. not readily universal, but adaptable, and specifically meant for EFI bikes. look into a dynatek (sp?) ecu. i think they're on the dynojet website. its a race cdi basically i think.. looks like lots opf old skool powerhouse bikes run em while still carbed..

·
Banned
1,505 Posts

thanks
I'm sorry but that was the funniest thing I've seen in a while. NO harm intended. I have much to contribute here...I just wanted to see some more reactions before I helped you out.
whitehendrix nailed it. Carburretion is mechanical and cannot be digitally altered. A jet kit matching your parameters is the only solution.

Are you still mad at me? :(

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
am i mad no was i no my only deal was that im a newb every one was a newb at one point in time. its like boom i know it all thats why i asked. because i wanted to know not get laughed at. its different to laugh to your self i dont know about it. i had an idea that they wouldnt work but i just wanted to check. please mind that this is the first bike that i have even thought of ever doing any form of aftermarket on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Chill man, no one is laughing at you. Noob or not, everybody here encourages learning, we are just trying to help. Aftermarket parts and modification is half the fun of bikes in my opinion. Tough-Guy and whitehendrix are exactly right, those guys know their shit.

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
am i mad no was i no my only deal was that im a newb every one was a newb at one point in time. its like boom i know it all thats why i asked. because i wanted to know not get laughed at. its different to laugh to your self i dont know about it. i had an idea that they wouldnt work but i just wanted to check. please mind that this is the first bike that i have even thought of ever doing any form of aftermarket on.
No one is laughing at you, we are laughing with you. Yes, there was a time when I couldn't tune a lawnmower to save my life. You have to start somewhere and we are here to help, but sometimes you hear something so innocently funny you can't help but chuckle. Back in the day, when we got a new lot tech (usually a kid 17-18) we would give him a parts list and tell him to run across the street to Nappa and ask the guy at the counter to help him.

Somewhere in the list, the items contained would be:

Assorted muffler bearings
A gallon of blinker fluid
A case of compression
And a 710 cap

They would come back with some sweet excuses on why they didn't get our shit, or just the most awesome dumbfounded look on their faces.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
kermit the only thing u can do for your carb bike is tweak with your jets. if u toss in a diffreint air fitler it throws the ratio off. same with a exhaust.its going to be to rich or to lean. so if you do air or fuel mods u need to bring the ratio back in agreement with your jets, eithering by shimming stock ones or going with aftermarket. a qaulified tech will be able to test your system to see if everything on par. i have a gp style exhaust now and its runs worse then before so i need to have it fixed so it runs right.

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
indeedy. if you wanna delve into carb tuning (something thats getting rare and pays well now..), you can start on your own bike. play (like everyone else said) with jetting. if the neddle on the vacuum piston (the bigass slidey thing in the middle of the carb that moves up and down) has notches in it, you can raise or lower the clip on the needle to adjust fuel. the higher the clip is, the leaner the bike will be, as it is tapered, and sits inside the seat further, permitting less gas to pss by. in contrast, the lower the clip is, the higher the needle will sit, and the will allow more gas out into the carb throat (main opening).. if it's not adjustable thru clip position, shimming is another alternative to raise fuel levels. i HAVE read on cats who've done EFI conversions, but they must have money, as i think those kits aren't cheap. i'm doin an efi conversion myself fter i get this turbo shit done., but thats all home-grown, mad scientist shit that no everyones gonna look at me like i'm retarded for. then again, i'll get shop business from it for pulling it off.. so, it's worth it.

play with the carbs. read up. inform yourself and be knowledgeable in all things CVK. thats a good way to understand how everything works and ties in. if you can eork on a carbed bike, chances are an EFI bike will be a cakewalk. kinda like welding or racing or riding in general.. start with street riding, then step up. start with Mig welding, then stick, then you should be Tigging aluminum in your sleep. and so on.. lol baby steps home slice..

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
There are a couple guys here that did an EFI conversion in order to boost their bikes. For example Extra runs mega squirt on his '95 6R. From what I gather, it's the easiest solution for converting to EFI.
I run the factory carbs on my bike because...well, the still work. Even under boost. You can do just about anything with carbs that you can with EFI, it's just a PITA to make changes to them as opposted to pluging in your laptop and digitally making corrections/compensations.

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
amen. and without your knowledge, tough guy, i'd still be wondering what the carbs can handle, pressure-wise. thats another reason i will convert to efi when i boost. as well, i don't think anyone makes kits for my bike. i'm stuck..lol carbs are vastly tunable, but hell ya. pain indeed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts