Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i have been tossing the idea of getting a power commander for some time now for my bike. However im just not sold yet on how exactly a power commander will help me that much. Just trying to get a little background on the good and the bad before i fork over the money. Any information is great i found one for sale around me for $200.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hey i have been tossing the idea of getting a power commander for some time now for my bike. However im just not sold yet on how exactly a power commander will help me that much. Just trying to get a little background on the good and the bad before i fork over the money. Any information is great i found one for sale around me for $200.
pretty much if you have an exhaust and airfilter, the power commander is a good next step. you'll get a lil more power, and i felt like i got a quicker throttle response, but i could be crazy... i think they're worth the money...

·
Registered
768 Posts
While essential to getting the absolute highest power out of a bike the biggest gains to be had are at partial throttle openings and the lower RPM ranges. A PCIII and a good tune can end up being a huge benefit to an otherwise stock bike especially in real world riding. The bike will feel much smoother and more powerful.

The only drawback is a hit to fuel economy. I would get a consistent 39-41 mpg before but that dropped to 31-35 mpg after.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Get it dude. It's pretty easy to install-if you can read, you can install it yourself and it really does smooth the power out and improve rideability. Unlike a lot of others here I feel the PC is a much better mod than exhaust. You can run a PC with stock exhaust and you'll notice much more of a difference than you will just changing the exhaust. It just makes the bike run and deliver power more smoothly-one less thing to think about so you can concentrate on what's happening in front of you!

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
any mods to your bike? i've got a scorpion slip-on and k&n air filter. i bought the pcIII because i heard good things but it did not do NEARLY what i expected. i was disappointed. i can feel a slight power gain (running a generic map) but if i could do it all over again, i'd spend the money on something else. i am sure i could get a custom tune and squeeze a few more horses out of it, but i'm not going to bother with it right now. your bike should run fine with a slip-on without the power commander.

my recommendation: unless you're planning on dropping some serious money (i.e. full system, air filter, custom tune), don't buy it

Reactions: mariano3113

·
Registered
270 Posts
any mods to your bike? i've got a scorpion slip-on and k&n air filter. i bought the pcIII because i heard good things but it did not do NEARLY what i expected. i was disappointed. i can feel a slight power gain (running a generic map) but if i could do it all over again, i'd spend the money on something else. i am sure i could get a custom tune and squeeze a few more horses out of it, but i'm not going to bother with it right now. your bike should run fine with a slip-on without the power commander.

my recommendation: unless you're planning on dropping some serious money (i.e. full system, air filter, custom tune), don't buy it
Is there any drawbacks to runnin a slip on without a power commander? Wont the bike run leaner and have a greater chance of engine damage in the higher RPMs because the bike is tuned for the stock exhaust?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Is there any drawbacks to runnin a slip on without a power commander? Wont the bike run leaner and have a greater chance of engine damage in the higher RPMs because the bike is tuned for the stock exhaust?
If you think about it this way it might help answer your question. A motor is a big air pump. If you make it easier for it to pump air out but dont change how much air it can pump in (ie air filter) you will free up some hp due to less back pressure etc. from the exhaust but you arent really changing the amount of air to fuel (lean or rich) you are using. So just running a slip on is fine without a PC and air filter.

Now if you are adding a air filter as well, then yes there would be a higher chance to do engine damage without a PC, but normal street riding is probably not hurt it. A chance yes, probably going to happen? no.

Here is some personal experience, I have a slip on and air filter on my race bike and ran 2 whole years of racing (endurance and sprints) without a PC and a tune, and I never had any engine problems. I would guess about 5000 track miles easy. Now the trans is a different story.

You will be fine without one.

BTW, they are coming out with a new Power Comander (it might be out already).

Hope that answers your question.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
IMHO - Exhaust and other perfomance mods can be almost negligible, at the track or on the street. The most important thing a PC can do isn't to get better top-end power, it's to get a smooth fuel/power delivery. If you have a 636 making 128HP peak but the power delivery is like a two stroke (all over the place up&down) then what good will it do you when riding.

My thought is this. Get exhaust if you like the sound/looks. Get some money put into your suspension. After you do the suspension, up-grade brakes. Then if you want power either do some internal engine work or heads. Then get your fueling-sorted. But at that point you would probably be better of with an actively adjustable ECU (Adjust on the fly) such as Bazzaz, Motty, MOTEC.etc.......

The PCIII is only great because it gained huge popularity. (Here's a thought the Honda 600RR that did 200mph had 2-PCIII, one for the primary injectors and one for the secondary's) That means on our bikes they would be best off with two - PC III, but who does that.

I'm not a fan of how easily the PCIII goes bad, nor am I a fan of the lack of adjustment it gives when compared to other FI adjustment products. But then agiain it's my opinion.
But I give them credit for having a wide range of support and keeping the price down and in the hands of the masses. Great business model, I mean they almost own the market per say. (And no they weren't the first to have such a product. HRC,KRT, etc.........factory KIT/RACE ECU's have had those adjustments and more, well before the PCIII)

But to answer your question: If the throttle feels choppy get a PC III and a custom tune. You'll love the way the power delivery comes on. It will make a huge difference in riding enjoyment. And at $200 you can try JD's or tweakmon's maps and if you really don't like it you can re-sell it and get your money back before you drop some coin on a Custom Tune (~$200-275, basically more than you paid for the PCIII itself)

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
+1 with everyone else. i ran my bike with only a slip on for about 2 years as well. never had any problems. a lot of the pipe manufacturers say that for a slip on pipe, a power commander is "recommended but not required." seriously man, i wouldn't waste the money. like i said, if you're going to put a full system, air filter, velocity stacks, etc, then definitely get a pcIII and a custom tune. otherwise, like mariano said, find a slip on pipe you like and enjoy it. spend the money on something else.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts