Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about getting a PCIII for my 636, Ive heard alot of good about them, and i heard that with a custom map you can attain about 12 HP more......is it worth the 250$?????[?]

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have one on my bike, im not sure that a power commander alone would add a full 12 hwspr though. i think it adds more like 5. I didnt get my bike dynoed when it was stock so i dont have numbers to back up my estimation. I have A full Akra Evo on my bike with power commander and i hope that with those two mods i could achieve 12-17 more horses. I just havnt had the time to run my bike to houston or dallas yet to have it dynoed.

·
Registered
534 Posts
beware though, some are just crap and kill your bike. i've experienced it, and dynojet is taking their sweet ass time getting it back [}:)]it's like they have my calls on automatic disconnect.[V] maybe in time, factory pro will have an EMS out for the 636/6RR.

·
Registered
344 Posts
If you really want to take full advantage of the PC-III, go to a shop that will dyno the bike and build a custom map specifically for your bike.

Do all other engine performance mods before paying for the custom map. Adding an exhaust will make you need another map.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Hate to burst bubbles, but adding a PCIII alone will net you nowhere NEAR 12hp. A PCIII with a custom map will clean up your throttle response throughout the powerband and possibly a couple ponies along the way. What it will excel in is netting the most from aftermarket mods like full exhaust systems, slip on exhausts, and aftermarket air filters. The stock EFI system can't adjust for adding these components, and the PCIII will help you to maximize your gains. It's basically a necessity for proper power delivery after adding a full exhaust.

I would start to disregard anything the guy who told you 12hp gains are possible from just a PCIII says.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
yea...but that's still without a full exhaust...air filters don't do much (getting a k&n is only good because it's reusable)
by itself a PCIII will only do what dj said (with a custom map it'll be like 10% better)
with everything on it you could stand to gain around 7hp (i think that's what most members have gained)

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Let me be clearer. I'm talking with a custom map done to a PCIII with NO OTHER modifications, you will gain possibly one, maybe two horsepower, and possibly cleaner throttle response on the way up. YOU WILL NEVER GAIN 12 HORSEPOWER from a PCIII, custom map or not. Period.

With a high-end full exhaust and a custom map on a PCIII, you MIGHT gain 10-12 horsepower. 12 hp from a 600 is next to impossible to gain without drastically affecting the engine's durability and reliability. Aside from expensive custom engine work (heads) you will be LUCKY to gain 9 or 10 horses out of a top-notch full exhaust and a power commander, yes mated to a custom mapping.

The PCIII on its own will not gain dramatic horsepower boosts. Please refer to this thread posted by Rodan. Rodan is one of our members who recently posted dyno testing before and after install of a PCIIIusb, and before and after custom mapping. Graphs are included in the thread. The end result? Good gains were had from the PCIIIusb and the custom map, to the tune of 1.5 horsepower peak. Gains of 12 horsepower are extremely difficult to get on today's 600's due to the fact they're almost already tweaked to the max right out of the crate. There is NO EASY WAY to gain 12 horsepower. A 1.5 horsepower gain in peak with better response throughout the powerband is significant, and as he states, was worth the effort.

I hope this is clearer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.