Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok So I got a PC3 over the winter for my bike. In the beginning of the riding season it ran fine but then one day my bike started missing and not running on one or more cylinders. I thought there was a problem with the map so I put a Zero map on. Still did it. I took the PC3 off and the bike ran fine. So I called Dynojet and told them about it and they told me to send it to them and they would inspect it. So a couple weeks go by and I hadn't heard anything so I called them. They said mine was bad and a new one was already on the way. Cool but they could have called and let me know what was going on.
So the new one comes in so I put it on. My bike ran fine for a couple weeks but the other day it started doing it again. It was doing it so bad, I didn't know if I was gonna make it home. It was running like absolute ass. Once I got home, I went over the same diagnosis. Zero map still ran like ass, took it PC3 off, it ran fine. I'm about to Dynojet again and tell them about it and see what they can do. If they can't send one that will work for more than a couple weeks I want a refund. This is ridiculous. I'm just glad I don't have mods that I NEED to run a PC3 or else I'd be bikeless for awhile

·
Registered
432 Posts
Did you get teh right PCIII? Check the part number.

A custom map make a big difference, but useless if you have the wrong one.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Yeah, I was also wondering if you got the right one. Mine's ran great with the pc3/akra on my bike for several months.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No it has nothing to do with the map. My bike did the same thing with a zero map (all values set to 0) and I highly doubt Dynojet would send me another brand new PC3 if there was nothing wrong with the first one.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
I bought one for my 04 636,..... It ran great when the power commander was working.... But the motor would die for no reason.
I could be going 7 or 70 mph and it would just go dead. Come to a stop and hit the switch and it would start right back up.
I checked all connections and reloaded the map. Kept doing the same thing. It might happen twice a day or might not do it for 2 weeks.
I got tired of that and disconnected it. Bike hasn't missed a lick since.

·
Registered
141 Posts
My power commander shut my bike off when I had something else loose in the trunk that bumped it. Try not to let anything hit your power commander

·
Registered
15 Posts
got one fitted to my bike, and had it set up on the dyno with a custom map.

runs fantastic now well worth the money

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
mine did the same thing and they sent me a new one and never had a problem with it again.

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,863 Posts
Never had any problems with mine at all...it's been over a year now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I talked to them and they told me to send it to them and they'll check it out. Kinda odd that I got 2 bad ones in a row.

·
Registered
94 Posts
not to play devil's advocate here, but have you checked all the connections. not just at the injectors but the ground as well. also look for any places on the wiring harness that may be the cause of a short. if you're grounding off the battery make sure that the ground loop for the PC is clean as well as the battery terminal. i'm not busting on you here just trying to come up with some possibilities.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update. I finally got around to installing my 3rd PC3 today. I was in no rush to install it really due to my track record with them. So I install it, bike starts right up, I put in my map. Everything seems good, I rev it a few times and it sounds good. I shut it off and go get ready to go riding. I come back out to start my bike and it turns over but won't fire. I'm like WTF! I check all the connections and they're all good. So I disconnect the PC3 and it starts right up. I decide to give one more try so I hook the PC3 up again. It fires for 1 second then dies again. I finally pulled it off, my bike ran fine and I went on riding.
I'm honestly fed up with this. I've had 3 of these now and not one of them worked. I'm wondering if my bike is at fault but it runs fine without a PC3. They either need to give me one that works or I want a full refund. I'm sick of this

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
No problems with mine.

Yet.

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,863 Posts
Yeah, it'd be almost impossible to get three bad units in a row. Are you sure you're asking for the PC3 for the right bike, and it has the right map? Have you tried downloading a map from the internet and loading it into the PC3?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
its amazing, i dont have any problems with carburetors and jet kits [:eek:)] fuel injection is great to tune with, but carbs are reliable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by dragknt
Yeah, it'd be almost impossible to get three bad units in a row. Are you sure you're asking for the PC3 for the right bike, and it has the right map? Have you tried downloading a map from the internet and loading it into the PC3?
I've checked the part #'s and they're correct. Dynojet knows what kind of bike I have so theres no miscommunication there. They also had my map pre installed on the unit so it's nothing that I am doing. With the previous two, it would miss even with a zero map. This one I can't change the map because the bike won't start. It ran fine the first time I started it so it couldn't be a map problem.
I'm installing it the correct way. I double checked the installation instructions just to make sure.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
There has to be some sort of electrical short or something causing the PCIII to die or not function properly.

Did you reset the throttle opening on the PCIII? Have you tried resetting the PCIII itself? Make sure you save your map before you do that one.

I would try to get them on the phone with you while you are messing with it, maybe they can help you and narrow it down some.

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
I'd say there has to be something wrong with your bike, the connectors, ground...something. It just doesn't make sense that you would get three bad units. I guess its possible that they are all from the same batch that had a problem, but unlikely.

Do you have an exhaust or something where you would really need the pc3? If not, ask them for a refund and forget about it. Sounds like its not worth the hassle.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.