Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i was wondering what a dyno jet power commander does for a bike..been seeing lots of em and jus never knew what they do so if someone could enlighten me?
..also would it matter if my bike is carbed?
i ride an 02 ZX-6R

·
Registered
17,507 Posts
considering you posted this in a section where all the bikes are carbbed. it will do nothing.
they are for fuel injected bikes to adjust the amount of fuel during certain rpms, throttle positions.

they can increase power if your bike is set up really poorly, once you get a proper tune. otherwise they can increase the smoothness of your bike.

but once again, you cant get these for pre-03 zx6rs or zzrs

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well that answers my question..i was thinkin that it wouldnt be able to do shit all with a carbed bike lol thanks bud

·
Registered
122 Posts
i would reccomend it unless you want to adjust them, go for a ride and feel the bike, then come back and adjust again, and repeat. or if you have a 5 gas machine thatd help but im assuming you dont.

·
Registered
731 Posts
haha sounds like more work than i want.
thanks for your input guys
where in edmonton are you? I'm on the south side, going to be installing a jet kit in my bike, dont know what i'm doing but you can learn from my mistakes, and if it all works out we could do your bike after.

EDIT: sorry kind of a durh moment, so first of all if you have no mod's done to your bike it's probably not worth your time and money. Once you do an exhaust system on it then it's a good idea to re-jet. Do some research but these bikes are known for being a tad lean and having a little bit of a flat spot around 5000-6000 rpms which you can fix with 20 cent washers.

Not sure if you really want to go this far into your bike, once you start doing mod's the uphill battle starts.

SECOND EDIT: not sure if you've found the local forum yet? edmontonsportriderz.com

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmmm ye not to sure if im up for that quite yet..and actually ye im on edmonton sportriderz but i forgot bout that site lol

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
when you start messing with carbs you are opening a can of worms. unless you know what your doing your gonna hate yourself for trying lol. but hey if your adventurous and dont need your bike to be tip top right away there is no better way to learn. good luck fellas.

·
Registered
731 Posts
when you start messing with carbs you are opening a can of worms. unless you know what your doing your gonna hate yourself for trying lol. but hey if your adventurous and dont need your bike to be tip top right away there is no better way to learn. good luck fellas.
Depends what you're talking about, chainging out the main jet and dropping some new needles in isnt rocket science. Not talking about doing a rebuild here, just a simple jet kit.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jet kits are simple you say..sounding tempting. but is it not really worth it if the bike is still fully stock engine wise?

·
Registered
50 Posts
jet kits are simple you say..sounding tempting. but is it not really worth it if the bike is still fully stock engine wise?
Simple? Yes. Time consuming? Very. Plus, if you want your bike to run perfectlty, then you will probably be pulling the carbs at least twice, but probably more, to get them dialed in. It's rare to just throw a jet kit in and it run perfect without any further adjustment. It takes time and a little "know how" to adjust the right circuit to get everything "happy". On a stock bike I would just ride it and enjoy it. I have a Yoshi slip-on just shimmed my needles and all is good with mine. Plenty of power for me and runs just fine, no lean surging or running rich.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Depends what you're talking about, chainging out the main jet and dropping some new needles in isnt rocket science. Not talking about doing a rebuild here, just a simple jet kit.
if you have done it before, and the nice riding day that you waste while trying to dial in the jet size. all seem useless for a stock bike

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
My bike was lean in stock form. Just got worse when i put the can on to the point where it was practically unridable. I would recommend a jet kit on even a stock bike but you need to know how to tune it unless you want to spend bucks at a shop.

The dyno-jet kit i put in mine was quite nearly perfect with the recommended settings and was worlds better than the shitty lean stock tuning.

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
i would reccomend it unless you want to adjust them, go for a ride and feel the bike, then come back and adjust again, and repeat. or if you have a 5 gas machine thatd help but im assuming you dont.

lol.. not too many people have $12,000 to spend on a 5 gas analyzer..

or 20K+ to drop on a dyno..

but to the OP.. if you can find a shop with this shit, i suggest you try them.

the jet kits are easy to install. it's the tuning that gets people fucked up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts