Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In April this year I took delivery of a new ZX6R and up till recently I've been completely extacting when riding it.

However (why does there always have to be a "however"), recently the bike has been struggling to deliver power low down in the rev range. The engine sounds sick and doesn't seem to deliver any real power until approx 6,000 - 7,000 rpm.

It's almost as if the engine is struggling to breathe.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem with their ZX6R?

The bikes done 1,300 miles.

Any advice / help appreciated.

Thanks

JT

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
You need to understand something about peaky jap fours.

They used to rev to 7k, then 9k, then 11k, then 13k,now they rev to 15 or 16k. That is where they make power, and the HP goes up every year. So does the power curve. Simply put, the bike makes probably 40 hp at 7000rpm. That's why it does not have any power. These motors need to have the SNOT revved out of them.

When I first took my 636 on the track, I shifted by ear. And was going five seconds a lap slower than on my SV. I looked at the tach and noticed that I was shifting at 12k and from the sound I thought I was at redline. They scream and if they are not screaming they are not making power.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Welcome to the world of Inline-Fours :D. If you want good useable power on the street, i would suggest a V-twin...Ducati baby :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies.

I totally here you in regard to the fact that these bikes need revs.

I use to have an R6 before this bike, so I know how the power is delivered and where the sweet spot in the power band is.

The problem I'm having with my bike is that it sounds sick and is not pulling as it should down low in the rev range. It sounds like it's struggling to get either air or fuel into the combustion chambers, or perhaps struggling to get enough of both.

I've got it booked into the shop for tomorrow am, so I'll post the diagnosis on the board. Hoping it's just a fueling glitch on the on board computer.

Thanks again for the replies.

JT

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, lets just clear up any misunderstanding. I'm not trying to debate where the power band of a Japanese in-line 4 kicks in, I know where it happens and where it happens on each bike will be slightly different. On the ZX6R things don't start happening until you're heading north of 8k.

What I'm trying to say, and perhaps I'm not making myself clear (apologies for any confusion), is that my bike is running sick in the bottom half of the rev range.

It is not pulling cleanly, it sounds sick and the power is severly down.

As I said in my previous post, I'll let you know what the shop says once its been checked out.

I think I should know something about high reving Japanese fours, been riding them for the last 14 years.

Thanks again.

JT

·
Registered
734 Posts
what about idle? does that sound ok?
what does it idle at? book says it should be at 1250

are your throttle cables nice and tight?

does it do this when it's hot and cold? have you followed all your services properly?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Idle is fine, the problem doesn't seem to go away when the bike is warmed up.

I'll check the throttle cables.

Thanks for the suggestions.

JT

·
Registered
562 Posts
Take it back to the dealer. It comes with a factory 1 year warrenty. I bought the 6 year
extension.

--Anthony

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry for the delay in replying.

Bikes been back to the shop, the technician took it out for a ride and came back saying he couldn't fault it.

I have to admit, I was somewhat surprised. Even on the ride over to the shop it felt lame below 6 - 7k rpm.

I said I'd take it for another spin and see what I thought. I also told the technician that if I wasn't happy with it, then I'd like them to dyno it and see what the results were.

Lo and behold, from the off the bike felt better, hmmm. Perhaps it just needed a really good blast to clear it out, maybe it had been running at too few rpms? My Dad also rider my bike (he's 70 this year) and it is possible that he's been nursing it a bit.

I keep telling him "don't be afraid to give it the beans", but for a guy who rides a BSA 500 twin, he's hardly going to rev the nuts off of it.

Anyway, I'm just pleased that it seems to be back to full power and this was confirmed on the ride home :D

I'm a happy ninja lover again!

Thanks again for all the replies.

Happy riding.

JT

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you NEVER wind it out then im sure you can get some heavy carbon deposits... Always good to redline yer hamster wheel everyonce in a while.

Or maybe the tech noticed something that he messed up on the last visit and fixed it without telling you....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Once again, thanks for all your replies.

I'm happy to say that ever since it went back to the shop (with the diagnosis from the shop being "nope, nothing wrong with that Ninja", the bikes been running fine.

Unfortunately the British summer is coming to an end and the chances to get out and ride on nice dry roads are becoming fewer and fewer.

At least I've got a handful of good rides in and hopefull next year I'll get across to Europe for a road trip.

Cheers,

JT

·
Registered
343 Posts
get a power commander, I got mine because I was forced to after getting a 2 bros exhaust. In the future this is the 1st mod I will do to any bike I get. The increase in throttle responce and smoothness alone is worth the cash but the added increase in HP is a plus too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.