Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I am going to make my own fender eliminator, and Im thinking of making a set of LED turn signals. I know that if I dont match the power draw of the lights the system wont be right and it will blink wrong. Ive read in a previous thread about an aftermarket solid state blinker relay, but Im sketchy on this. Can someone explain how it works, and what would have to be done to set it up? Also, does anyone know what the draw of a single light should be, so I could attempt to match it? Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Well you could calculate it with a voltmeter..
You'd need to put it in amp/current mode and put it inline with the wiring (ie cut the +12V wire going to the signals and put the voltmeter across it.) When the light is on, see what the current draw is.
Multiply that by 12V, and you've got its power draw in Watts :)

Or, do what everyone else does, and just put your new signals on. If it blinks too fast, goto autozone or pepboys or whatever, and get a new flasher relay for $5. thats all you need, it takes 2 minutes to install.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How does the flasher relay install? Is this like a generic part, or does it depend on anything? I mean, I know how a relay works, but Im just curious how a generic relay fixes a range of different power differences

·
Registered
303 Posts
you just put the solid state flasher relay on the line and its done... it doesn't depend on anything except your brake/signal power.... mine has been problem free since winter

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Your bike already has a relay in it, just now its not the right level.
Basically its a capacitor, and when it fills up, it discharges the power to the lights. When you change the blinkers, it changes the ammount of energy used, to the blink rate will change.
Basically, the new relay is just a bigger capacitor, takes a little longer to fill up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.