Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello riders,
I don't know how to best explain it; but I can feel a few differences in the riding over the past few 100 miles or so. here's a breakdown:

The gear shift is not as smooth as it used to be; every time a change gear I feel a jerk forward, earlier I could shift all the way up without any noticeable jerks.

More recently, the throttle seems to hiccup (that's the best I can describe it). It feels like it loses power for a second at low rpms, especially at lower gears.

Its a 2009 ninja 650; 8.2 K miles; recent works : Oil change: Amsoil full synthetic (7.5K); Both tires changed (~8.0 K).

the service manual mentions air cleaner element cleaning and spark plug change at 7.5K which I didn't. But I read over the forums that this is mostly on as needed basis. This could be the case, but I wanted to know what more experienced riders would think. Any tips/suggestions appreciated :D
Cheers !

·
Registered
246 Posts
Reading this quick, the first two things that come to mind is clean your air filter and check the adjustment of your clutch.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I would also go ahead and change the spark plugs, and make sure your chain is properly adjusted.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'm not so sure I agree about the sparkplugs. There are forum members with over 50k miles on the stock plugs.

I do however agree with checking the chain, having recently had new new put on.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I'm not so sure I agree about the sparkplugs. There are forum members with over 50k miles on the stock plugs.

I do however agree with checking the chain, having recently had new new put on.
Just because somebody has spark plugs still working with over 50K miles on them doesn't mean that that are functioning at 100%. It also doesn't mean that another spark plug won't go bad sooner.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When you guys say chain adjusted, do you mean something more than chain slack ? Because everytime I lube it, I also check the slack and it's within the recommended limits.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
When you guys say chain adjusted, do you mean something more than chain slack ? Because everytime I lube it, I also check the slack and it's within the recommended limits.
Nope, slack is what I meant regarding the chain adjustment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts