·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would the power to weight ratio of a bike effect its abilities on:
1: Straight
2: Curves
???

Would a better power to weight allow the bike to corner or would this have no effect in the actual corner just the powering out of it?

I ask cause I was riding behind a mate as he test rode a 2003 6r and we were passed by a Harley Davidson Softtail. Mate took after it and was slightly faster out of the courners but the softtail would catch on the straights.[V]

·
Registered
493 Posts
thats one fast ass harley if he is not onlky catching up from behind but pulling you guys in the straights, you sure you were full throttle and were you in the bikes powerband? thats pretty amazing if your were, unless its a vrod those things are fast

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
you let a hd beat you?! how could you? tsktsktsk[}:)]
i think they have like a 1300 or 1800cc displacement. but our bikes should have a greater power to weight ratio

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Power gives you acceleration out of corners and on takeoff. The less weight you have got to move, the faster the acceleration. The less weight, the easier the bike is to flick it into and out of corners. As for the HD problem, I dunno. The only cruiser I have had a problem keeping up with is a Yamaha V-max and the rider really knows his bike. He has had it for about 8 years. Some people just got skills.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The goal is to have the best power to weight ratio (more power less weight) But that dosent mean that a bike with a better power to weight ratio will be faster. Take the GSXR1000 it has a P/W ratio of 2.31 but it will not run with a Buse in the top end "MPH" even thought the Busa has a worst P/W ratio 2.83 Now how in the hell did a Harley beat you I will never know.[:M99]

·
Registered
363 Posts
alright no stock HD will pull away from you. I have a yamaha warrior and it smokes all HDs except the v rod (and thats a close race)and the little Kaw will toast it. It was either a full custom with big bore engine or a duece with a piston and cam kit. The only other reason you would lose is if you tried to roll on at 4000rpm.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My friend had only just gotten off of his provisonal plates and it was a test ride so I don't think he was hammering it. Even riding behind him I didn't get out of 5th, but I've ridden against these HD's before. Normally it is with you at the lights then a little blur in the back ground. This HD looked like a soft-tail but was faster then I've come across hence the power to weight question.

Could it have been turbo'ed or supercharged?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My friend had only just gotten off of his provisonal plates and it was a test ride so I don't think he was hammering it. Even riding behind him I didn't get out of 5th, but I've ridden against these HD's before. Normally it is with you at the lights then a little blur in the back ground. This HD looked like a soft-tail but was faster then I've come across hence the power to weight question.

Could it have been turbo'ed or supercharged?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
A normal HD Soft Tail will do the quarter in the 13s. With lots of work they could probably get it to the 11's. The fastest HD are the V-Rod. If you let on get the jump on you, you can have a hard time catching up.

·
Registered
386 Posts
This thread has to be a joke? A harley keeping up in the corners and leaving an R6 on the straights? Gimme a fuckin' break, that rider shouldn't have his provisional licence, he should have his ass handed to him on a plate along with his missing nutsack. pfft...

·
Registered
534 Posts
one of my friends that I race turbo regals with owns a vrod. damn that bike is smooth! it near made me want to trade my 636R and down on a new vrod. it dont near handle like any sport bike, but the ride...OH MY, just the ride...i just cant explain how the ride is like. wierd thing is..he hopped on me 636R and he absolutely loved it too **lol** too bad he wont trade. I wouldve traded in the vrod for a 6RR and the 04 10R :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.