Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well my buddy went down in front of me on the intersate last night at ~ 130 on his gixxer 1000. i have tried to get him to use the clutch and rear brake and SLOW DOWN but he insists that he has all the control he needs in his right hand. yeah right. hes alright, couple broken fingers, couple broken toes, and lots of rash. helmet saved his life for sure. wish i had some video footage it was a horrific crash bike was flipping like 10 feet in the air maybe higher. just be safe guys wear your gear when all the time!!! if not always at least when you hit the streets. and USE THE DAMN REAR BRAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
how about not doing wheelies in the freeway? That might be a some good advice too. That's the sort of shit that jacks up insurance rates and gives a bad name to the rest of us. There are plenty of dark lonely streets to wheelie all you want.

That said, glad he's ok.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
How did this guy power wheelie at that type of speed? What does he weigh, 75lbs?

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
He prolly powered it up at a lower speed then shifted through the gears in the wheelie.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Originally posted by Rivetgeek
He prolly powered it up at a lower speed then shifted through the gears in the wheelie.
Maybe some guys are tiny enough to power it up in second gear, but mine typically only comes up under its own power without bouncing or clutching in first gear... and I'm sure it's possible, but I can't imagine powering it up in first gear then shifting into second, third, or fourth with the front wheel staying in the air. Just doesn't seem likely on my bike, but hey.. what do I know?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
the VERY first thing i learned about wheelies is to ALWAYS COVER THE REAR BRAKE!!

glad he's okay. is he going to take it a little more seriously now?

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
by the way, I didn't realize it was a 1000cc bike.. I thought I read it was a 600 class bike originally. That makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
120 Posts
yea those 1000 can lift in just about any gear. still though coming from some one who just crashed and is just getting back on my feet. wheeling on the interstate is never a good idea. yea i'll admit i've done it a lot including the Walt Witman Bridge in to Philly but still 130 on the rear wheel little toooo fast 80-90 was my max. not saying that you should go do it but to each is their own. if you gonna take every precaution you can.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
Originally posted by ZeRo_C0oL
by the way, I didn't realize it was a 1000cc bike.. I thought I read it was a 600 class bike originally. That makes a huge difference.
haha, i was wondering wtf u were thinking. a 1000cc bike power whooling at 130 isn't much.

glad he's ok, them power whooli's will get ur as killed.

·
Registered
419 Posts
if you can't imagine powering it up while you're on the highway and you can't imagine riding from first gear through fourth gear, how else would you explain people riding wheelies down the freeway? i'm pretty sure those are the only two options?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Well when your bike goes over a hundred in first gear it is possible to lift it up at 20 in first and run it up to 100. I usually pull it up in second at about 50 and keep it at like 60-70 but i have done 120 in second and boy is that a rush. Deffinately need the back break at those speeds though cause' the engine brake isnt enough to over come the momentum of the bike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.