Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Been messing with the suspension setting and I seem to have got everything just about spot on for me. Finished up with these settings
Rear Comp +2 Rebound +2
Front Comp stock Rebound -1

The trouble is that the bike feels even more stable and planted two up now than it does when its just me on it. So i suspect that I need to play with the preload. As I am only a light block of just under 10 stone (about 140 Lbs for my american friends) due I need to start increasing it or decreasing it? I suspect its the earlier as the bike is planted around bends with more weight on board, Am I correct?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
If the bike feels better with two people than just yourself, you need to decrease the preload. Increasing it will only make things even worse.

BC.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Pre-load is pretty easy to figure out. The theory is that you want the bike to be using the middle of the suspension travel under normal conditions for it to handle best. To do this set the pre-load so that the suspension settles about 1/4 of its travel when you are seated on the bike in riding position. On the ZX-6R I think that comes to about 1 3/16" on the front and 1 3/8" on the back. It takes a couple of people to measure it properly although you might measure the front by putting a cable tie around the fork tube.

You might want to check out this site. They have all the suspension set-up they have used in testing various bikes. You are probably a hell of a lot closer to the weight of the test rider than most of us.

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_susp_settings/

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I'll try setting it all up this weekend. That's if the weather holds out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.