Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this....(note: this picture is taken when the bike is upright)

[:0]
seems like my coolant fluid levels are "borderline" low. should I add more coolant (or distilled water) before I go rippin up the twisties? or am I fine? My bike is running a little hotter than usual. could this be the cause?

·
Registered
543 Posts
at this level when bike is completely cooled down? if so you're ok, can add a bit of water but you're not dangerously low.
-anth-

·
Registered
20 Posts
Don't fill it up to the high level mark. When the engine heats up, the fluid will expand and the extra will go into the reservoir. If there is no space in the reservoir, it will leak out the overflow (that tube coming out the bottom - it'll make your bike look like it's leaking fluid). It's okay at that level. If it goes below the low mark, then fill it a bit.

BTW - when was the last time you changed the fluid? It looks a little dark. That could also be the reason why it is running a little hot. I'll bet once you change it, you're gonna find that your bike will run cooler.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
have you checked your radiator hose connections in the back of the motor? a lot of them have been leaking, mine included they just need the clamp tightened

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies guys, actually I did change my oil recently to Mobil 1 MX4T full snythetic. and that's where I noticed my bike getting warmer faster. wierd, I thought changing the oil would make it cooler. after this weekend, I am definitely gonna flush my coolant and put in engine ice, or water wetter.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Engine ice lowered the temps on my bike 5-10 degrees. no problems

·
Registered
188 Posts
Engine Ice doesn't last as long as Water Wetter. You'll be changing out your coolant more frequently with Engine Ice. Somehow the chemcals in engine ice break down faster so the cooling effect goes away after a while.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Originally posted by cruizin
Engine Ice doesn't last as long as Water Wetter. You'll be changing out your coolant more frequently with Engine Ice. Somehow the chemcals in engine ice break down faster so the cooling effect goes away after a while.
Is this from your personal experience? How long was Engine Ice in the cooling system when it finally broke down and stopped cooling effeciently?

My understanding of Water Wetter is that you should run it with straight water for the best cooling effect. Which would meant that you dont want to leave it in your cooling system for too long anyhow. Most guys I know that run Water Wetter use it only for track days and drain it out when they are done. I generally change coolant out and flush the system once a year regardless of the mileage.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Originally posted by KawaBLuZX6R
this....(note: this picture is taken when the bike is upright)

[:0]
seems like my coolant fluid levels are "borderline" low. should I add more coolant (or distilled water) before I go rippin up the twisties? or am I fine? My bike is running a little hotter than usual. could this be the cause?
it could possibly be it. i ran my bike hard in the twisties and it went over 250! :( checked my coolant and it was at the same lvl as yours. not sure exactly if this is the problem, but im flushing it and putting in water wetter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.