Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably dumb but I don't want to hurt my baby! My rear brake fluid level is low, can I just top it off or should I empty it and start fresh? If I can just add some more dot4 does it need to be the same as what's in there already(stock)? Thanks and please don't flame me too bad!!!

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
If you're level is a little low, then you can add a little more of the same of fluid, yes. If the fluid is starting to get dark, then you should go ahead and bleed the brake.

DOT 3 and DOT 4 are compatible. DOT 4 has a higher boiling point.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
To get more specific, DOT 3 and DOT 4 have the same base, but DOT 4 has an additive that gives it a higher boiling point. I have heard of some guys using DOT 3 in their bikes w/o problems. However, the manual calls for DOT 4. So if possible, stick w/DOT 4...

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
despite how close dot 3 and dot 4 are in characteristics, i just spend the extra few cents and buy dot 4. come to think of it, they might even be the same price.

anyway, like he said. you can top it off, but if it's turning dark, you should think about changing it.

that being said, DON'T TAKE IT TO THE STEALERSHIP TO CHANGE YOUR BRAKE FLUID!!! it's very easy to do. buy a little mightyvac brake suction thing and do it yourself. it doesn't have to be a $100+ one. mine cost me $30 and it is holding up great. i have changed out all my buddy's brake fluid. do it yourself, save yourself some money on labor charges, and learn how to work on your bike!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! I don't have a "stealership" lol near me, I live on an island in the south pacific, so I do all my own service. What is this brake vac thing you are talking about? Can't you just bleed the brakes like a car? any help will be much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
Thanks guys! I don't have a "stealership" lol near me, I live on an island in the south pacific, so I do all my own service. What is this brake vac thing you are talking about? Can't you just bleed the brakes like a car? any help will be much appreciated!

A vacuum pump just helps you out and gets rid of a little operator error while bleeding the brakes by hand. You can pump the brakes to do it, or use the pump, but either work fine.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
this is the one that i have: http://www.mityvac.com/pages/products_hvpo.asp. it came in a kit with some clear hose and a reservoir. i'm sure you can find it or something similar at an auto parts store.

yes, you CAN bleed brakes like on a car, but it takes FOREVER to do it! you will have to pump the brake levers a bazillion times. with the mighty vac, you can suck the lines dry and then refill them in just a few minutes. it's much easier that way.

if you need me to explain how to use it, let me know

·
Registered
254 Posts
On my yam i have at the moment ( and my gsxr ) both have stainless lines and they say 5.1 is better. Wouldnt use it on stock lines though.

And if its showing its low, first thing ide check would be rear pads buddy make sure they are ok and not dead therfor causing pistons to come further out resulting in less fluid showing in the res.

Andy

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the good info guys! I'll look into the vac, and I'll definitely check the pads! I have less than 3k miles on her but it would be good to check anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts