Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Just received my new Alpinestar Spec 1 boots and i'm having an issue shifting. I never had motorycle boots, and now i can't seem to shift correctly. I always seem to miss one or two everytime i upshift. Might just be because I'm used to havig shoes, any tips onto what i'm doing. Has anyone encountered these problem also.
thanks,

·
Powerhungry
38,386 Posts
have u adjusted ur shift lever?
ur probably shfting too lightly.

altho, i know with my atv, when im using my boots. theyre VERY stiff. and i cant FEEL the shifter.
never missed any, i know to pull up, till i feel it with my leg, as apposed to my foot.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Several things come to mind:

The boots may need to break in first to gain a little flexibility.

The muscles in your legs need time to develop to overcome the added resistance of wearing an over the ankle boot versus shoes.

The boots are bulkier than your shoes making it harder to get under the shift lever. You can adjust the shift lever up and down with the shifter rod.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
have u adjusted ur shift lever?
ur probably shfting too lightly.

altho, i know with my atv, when im using my boots. theyre VERY stiff. and i cant FEEL the shifter.
never missed any, i know to pull up, till i feel it with my leg, as apposed to my foot.
+1, my dirt bike boots are stiff as hell. they have never loosened up

·
Registered
216 Posts
I first got boots and had problems shifting as well. My problem was that with the big ass boots on after I would shift I wasn't bringing my foot far enough down to put the shift lever back into a position where it could shift again.

So it was just a matter of forcing my foot down another half inch or so to put the lever back into the correct position.

·
Powerhungry
38,386 Posts
I first got boots and had problems shifting as well. My problem was that with the big ass boots on after I would shift I wasn't bringing my foot far enough down to put the shift lever back into a position where it could shift again.

So it was just a matter of forcing my foot down another half inch or so to put the lever back into the correct position.
or adjust the lever up a bit;)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hey all,
Just received my new Alpinestar Spec 1 boots and i'm having an issue shifting. I never had motorycle boots, and now i can't seem to shift correctly. I always seem to miss one or two everytime i upshift. Might just be because I'm used to havig shoes, any tips onto what i'm doing. Has anyone encountered these problem also.
thanks,
Hey bro. I have Alpinestars SMX and I have the same problem. I find the toe of the boot is too thick making it hard to fit under the lever and shift properly.

The solution is to adjust the gear lever to allow more room for your boot. Or get rearsets that can also be adjusted.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
851 Posts
If you have a large foot as i do you may need to get another style boot . I had a pair of icon's and they sucked there just to stiff so i bought these sidi's they have armor in the heel and toe area and fit like a sneaker and have a low toe area as you can see from the pic

·
Registered
418 Posts
Booties

LaflSyl10:

P.S. I was in Ottawa last weekend. Took #507, Elephant Lake Road and Calabogie from Toronto into Ottawa. Great ride. Nice twisties on Confed.(??) Parkway in Ottawa. Too bad it rained a good part of the time.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I had the same problem when I went from combat boots to proper riding boots (A* SMX Plus).
Give it about a week to readjust to the new boot and to let it break in some. In the mean time just be very deliberate in your shifting.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Just keep riding with them on. They're obviously bulkier than shoes so it'll take a day or two to completely adjust.

·
Banned
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LaflSyl10:

P.S. I was in Ottawa last weekend. Took #507, Elephant Lake Road and Calabogie from Toronto into Ottawa. Great ride. Nice twisties on Confed.(??) Parkway in Ottawa. Too bad it rained a good part of the time.
Did you take a track day, calabogie is supposed to be a sweet track, as for the parkway, it amazing...too bad the speed limit is only 60 kmh.

My problem doesn't seem to be about fitting my boot under the shifter, it's like if i can't bring it up high enough. It's like if it's not engaging...weird, i guess i'll have to wait and see. thanks everyone for the great advice. Ride safe

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
Get used to the boots. When you are used to them (one week) the shoes will feel abnormal.

--David

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
adjust your shift lever so you can get clean shifts. Why wait for the boots to break in and risk damaging your transmission in the mean time?? :confused:

that's why they make them, well.... adjustable. :)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Did you take a track day, calabogie is supposed to be a sweet track, as for the parkway, it amazing...too bad the speed limit is only 60 kmh.

My problem doesn't seem to be about fitting my boot under the shifter, it's like if i can't bring it up high enough. It's like if it's not engaging...weird, i guess i'll have to wait and see. thanks everyone for the great advice. Ride safe

Didm't do a track day.Twisties on Calabogie are fantastic. . But you're right I heard Calabogie track is very good. I will do a track day in Sept. at Shannonville.

It was a long ride Tor-Ott. Took the scenic route. Almost 10 hours with stops.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
My Sidi's (first pair of boots I've ever had) pissed me off a lot when I first rode with them. After a week I was fine. It was just a matter of me getting used to the new lack of ankle movement.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I just got my new icon go go bombshell boots. Definately gonna take a while to adjust to them. Until the the leather loosens up a bit it is quite a challenge shifting.

I actually lowered my shift lever to compensate for the lack of movement while wearing them. Seems to have helped.

Overall I think they will work out just fine once they break In and get a bit more comfortable.

Bonus that they are stylish as well. ;)

Give it some time. I'm sure they'll feel like a second skin eventually.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just got my new icon go go bombshell boots. Definately gonna take a while to adjust to them. Until the the leather loosens up a bit it is quite a challenge shifting.

I actually lowered my shift lever to compensate for the lack of movement while wearing them. Seems to have helped.

Overall I think they will work out just fine once they break In and get a bit more comfortable.

Bonus that they are stylish as well. ;)

Give it some time. I'm sure they'll feel like a second skin eventually.
Those boots look awesome! Boyfriend wanted to buy me some, but I'm short enough as it is. I don't think it'd help me any in toe height. But stylish, they are.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts