Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I'm at a stop, and I start to accelerate while easin' off the clutch, my bike makes a weird sound. *Kinda scary sound* It's like a 'clunking' or 'knocking' sound. I can feel it through my feet on the pegs...god i hope this isn't an expensive problem[V]!!! LoL...

I dont' know if its a rod knocking..but that's the only thing i can think of!

Any advice / information??????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,185 Posts
Chain slack?
Chain bouncing off the swingarm maybe.
 

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
Joined
·
8,422 Posts
I agree with chain-on-swingarm goodness. When was the last time you cleaned, tensioned, and lubed your chain? If it was rodknock it'd knock all the time, not just when feathering the clutch. And rod knock is very distinctive...it's a very fast knocking sound.
 

·
Got lime? I do
Joined
·
16,736 Posts
def. the chain. going thru the same shit, ordered my chain today. $126 free ship with denniskirk.com (520 chain). chais is just worn out. it's the rollers and lnks popping. feel it in the footpegs and here it pop, pop, popping when you start off rite? i oiled mine good with wd40 and it lasted for 1 good day of riding. try that and see if it shuts up for a bit.

buddy of mine had a cbr and it popped at slow or high speeds. finally figured out that someone put the wrong size master link in the chain. but that was a different sound and you couldn't feel it in the pegs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey...

Thanks guys...appreciate the info!!!

Deffinetely gonna try the WD-40 trick...I just bought the bike back in April and he "said" he serviced the bike religiously! But who knows...
 

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
Joined
·
8,422 Posts
Originally posted by mad1111
Hey...

Thanks guys...appreciate the info!!!

Deffinetely gonna try the WD-40 trick...I just bought the bike back in April and he "said" he serviced the bike religiously! But who knows...
Make sure the chain tension is right before you go off spending hundreds of dollars on a chain and new sprockets (as a rule of thumb, always replace both sprockets when you replace the chain, even though they probably won't be past their service limit...worn/used sprockets can accelerate the wear of your new chain). Put the bike on a rear stand, fire it up and kick it in gear and let out the clutch so the wheel is spinning, and spray the chain down with brake cleaner or contact cleaner. Wipe it dry by holding a rag on it while it spins...then spray a coat or two of Dupont Teflon lube (you can get it at Home Depot) or any chain wax/lube from a motorcycle store. Give it 15 minutes to dry, then tension your chain properly. Take her for a ride and see if it fixed it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
875 Posts
Originally posted by dragknt



Make sure the chain tension is right before you go off spending hundreds of dollars on a chain and new sprockets (as a rule of thumb, always replace both sprockets when you replace the chain, even though they probably won't be past their service limit...worn/used sprockets can accelerate the wear of your new chain). Put the bike on a rear stand, fire it up and kick it in gear and let out the clutch so the wheel is spinning, and spray the chain down with brake cleaner or contact cleaner. Wipe it dry by holding a rag on it while it spins...then spray a coat or two of Dupont Teflon lube (you can get it at Home Depot) or any chain wax/lube from a motorcycle store. Give it 15 minutes to dry, then tension your chain properly. Take her for a ride and see if it fixed it.

Just be careful doing this. There was a guy on another board who lost part of a finger cleaning his chain this way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Mad Mike




Just be careful doing this. There was a guy on another board who lost part of a finger cleaning his chain this way.
Thanks for the heads up on that....
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top