Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the other day I drove up to the gas station and took my key to open my gas tank and it wouldn't work. I had enough gas to make it home so I when I got home it still wouldn't work. The next day I walked out there to try it and it worked fine. Well I went to ride it to work this morning and went to put some gas in it to make it to town and once again it will not open. What do I do?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Did you try pushing down while turning the key?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
probably your canooter valve. sometimes it builds up back pressure in the tank causing you to not be able to open the tank. its sorta like trying to open a car door at the bottom of a lake, too much pressure. take the bike down to the dealer and get you canooter valve looked at, its a common problem and covered under warranty

·
Registered
124 Posts
probably your canooter valve. sometimes it builds up back pressure in the tank causing you to not be able to open the tank. its sorta like trying to open a car door at the bottom of a lake, too much pressure. take the bike down to the dealer and get you canooter valve looked at, its a common problem and covered under warranty
It could also be the muffler bearings...

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
First of all spray some WD-40 or other spray that displaces water into the lock. Then make sure the small breather hole in your gas cap isn't clogged. If it is clogged pressure may be building in the tank from the gas fumes and pushing against the inside of the cap. As stated previously, pushing down on the cap while opening it may work, but it will recur if the breather vent is blocked.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Well the other day I drove up to the gas station and took my key to open my gas tank and it wouldn't work. I had enough gas to make it home so I when I got home it still wouldn't work. The next day I walked out there to try it and it worked fine. Well I went to ride it to work this morning and went to put some gas in it to make it to town and once again it will not open. What do I do?
Also, check to make sure your key isn't bent... The metal for these keys is super soft.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
teehee... "canooter"

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
First of all spray some WD-40 or other spray that displaces water into the lock. Then make sure the small breather hole in your gas cap isn't clogged. If it is clogged pressure may be building in the tank from the gas fumes and pushing against the inside of the cap. As stated previously, pushing down on the cap while opening it may work, but it will recur if the breather vent is blocked.
I agree... try what TF suggests.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Didn't have any wd40 so I just sprayed some chain lube on the key and tried it and it worked. Thanks to all the ones for the "good" advise.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Didn't have any wd40 so I just sprayed some chain lube on the key and tried it and it worked. Thanks to all the ones for the "good" advise.
when you have time, go back and use a lighter lube in there like wd40. the lock is usually made up of small moving pins and a heavy lube like a chain lube might lead to them sticking after awhile.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts