Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem, my '01 ZX9 has been jetted and has an air box kit on it. The problem is I have noticed when I let it sit for a few days, when I fire it uo it pops out of the muffler like a backfire, I didn't think much about it till today when I had to kick over to reserve with only about 80 miles on a tank! So I figure gas is leaking past the jets in one or all of the carbs evaporating and what little don't evap, is backfiring through the can on startup. I have a great mechanical knowledge (rebuilt MANY Ford Mustang my other passion) but this is my first mechanical go-round with a bike and I kknow everything works the same but I have never worked on multiple carb systems before. I just dont wanna f*** anything up. I was thinking about running some carb cleaner through the gas to hopefully unstick something. Any suggestion?!?!?!?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
The carb cleaner most likely wont help.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i have had this problem too but never figured out what it was I just look over it, but never had the gas problem thou(that i have notice always get about 140 before the reserve. Quick question on the air box kit did it improve anything? and how much would one cost? Oh and do you have picture
Originally posted by Red_ninja_9r
I have a problem, my '01 ZX9 has been jetted and has an air box kit on it. The problem is I have noticed when I let it sit for a few days, when I fire it uo it pops out of the muffler like a backfire, I didn't think much about it till today when I had to kick over to reserve with only about 80 miles on a tank! So I figure gas is leaking past the jets in one or all of the carbs evaporating and what little don't evap, is backfiring through the can on startup. I have a great mechanical knowledge (rebuilt MANY Ford Mustang my other passion) but this is my first mechanical go-round with a bike and I kknow everything works the same but I have never worked on multiple carb systems before. I just dont wanna f*** anything up. I was thinking about running some carb cleaner through the gas to hopefully unstick something. Any suggestion?!?!?!?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
will post some pics of the bike later. The mods were already on the bike when I got it. The only thing I can figure is I am still learning to ride wheelies and some (most) of my set downs are hard and maybe i knocked something loose in the carb(s). [B)] But My bike was also getting between 160 140 miles before reserve. Once I really started in on the wheelies, is when I noticed it. Also, since noticing the problem I have been cutting the fuel off when I park it and it doesn't pop when I hit the starter button but the mbr (miles before reserve) is still about 90 95. I dunno SOMEONE SAVE MY BIKE!!!!!!!!! (and my $$$$ for gas) Less $ for gas = more $ for parts :D

·
Registered
367 Posts
couldnt hurt to pull the carbs down, make sure they are clean and that the pilot screws are set correctly (2.5 turns out usually), that the float height is right (13mm stock usually, 16mm with jetkit), and that the slides all move freely and smoothly with no sticking. perfect time to put a jetkit in if you havent got one tho ;)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bike has been jetted. It has a (shi!!y) UNI type foam filter. Friend told me that was a HUGE problem I'm gonna replace it with a K&N before long though. I changed the plugs today and it was alot more snappy. The old plugs were FRIED! I checked the slides and they all moved freely but have yet to ride enough to see if I eclipse the magical 90 miles before reserve. I have a guy that is going to check the sync on the carbs for me though. He said something about stage 1 or stage 2 jets I have not idea how to tell any one know how to check. My bike has the jet kit, UNI type foam filter and an Akropovic GP style slip on (straight through)and the sprokets have been changed. WHat mods should I perform next? (After I fix the MPG issue, of course)

·
Registered
367 Posts
get a stock filter if you can, and take the steel mesh out of it. make sure its clean (mineral turpentine) and not over oiled.

sounds like a dynojet kit... if you have no joy with it, i would replace it with a factory pro or ivans... you'll need to download the instructions from dynojet to work out how to completely remove it

a +4 timing advancer is the next mod you should do... retail is about $50 and well worth it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool thanks man The filter was dry and VERY dirty! I cleaned but having no previous experience with the foam element filters, I didn't oil it. Friend told me to ride it for a short time without the filter and see if it straightens out the air/fuel issue. He said he had a four wheeler do that and he changed to a K&N and it fixed alot of the problem. I'll try that later! Thanks, I have seen alot of sites offering mods but what do you guys recommend? Thanks to everyone who has given input so far, by the way!

Erik

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.